What’s Business Casual?

Hello again!

So after a few days- wait a minute. It’s been exactly a week since I’ve moved in. That’s pretty nuts. Here is the breakdown for what I’ve realized so far:

1. People here are pretty darn nice.
  2. Buses aren’t as scary as they could be.
  3. Cooking alone in an apartment also isn’t as scary as I thought.
  4. I can make pretty good chicken
  5. I need to start reading more newspapers
  6. Internships are frustrating…like really frustrating.

I’m currently taking my seminar in Politics (which is what concentration I’m in in the Washington Semester Program). I also am taking a once a week elective in news media and production. These are great, love my classes, love my professor- but LOL @ the fact that I still haven’t found an internship, which is required with my program. Granted, I didn’t think it was going to be SUPER easy, but I at least assumed I would be able to find many that I was feeling passionate about. No such luck. Currently, I have interviews with the Interfaith Conference (my most exciting option), a middle and high school combination, and the National Cathedral. The political consulting firm I was most excited for is full for the semester, so here we are.

I am also fully accepting my new fate as an Ann Taylor zombie. I wear business pants that are slightly too big every day with some kind of blouse and flats or loafers. Unless I decide to go full “business attire” and wear my skirt suit and heels. On the first day of orientation, someone was asked during a fun get-to-know-you kinda thing- “Describe business casual” Does anyone know what this means? For some people it means a sundress and a cardigan and flats? To me it means a skirt/top or pants/top combo that’s not a full suit. This is all a big change from Whitman’s birkenstock, jeans, clogs, patagonia situation. And a big change from Houston running shorts, flip flops, and oversized Greek organization tee shirts. So, if someone finds flattering women’s dress pants that also aren’t too tight, hit me up.

Stay tuned to see if I’m even able to find an internship. I mean, really, this is the most dramatic election in history and nobody needs a dang intern?? Peace and blessings! And hopefully someday I’ll get to go tour around and take pictures to post on here.