Tips for Incoming Whitties!

As I sit here typing this blog post, I find it hard to believe that graduation is just two weeks away. My time at Whitman is coming to an end and with each day that passes I find myself becoming increasingly sentimental. It seems like not that long ago I was entering my Encounters class for the first time as a nervous first-year. Now, I am about to attend the last class of my undergraduate experience. Everything here at Whitman has happened in the blink of an eye, and I consider myself lucky to have had such a rewarding time. Today, I think it would be helpful for me to pass along some tips that I have learned during my four years at Whitman.

• Go to your professors’ office hours and just chat. They share some of their best lessons outside of the classroom.
  • Email, email, and email some more. Over-communication with your professors, peers, or boss is never a bad thing!
  • Take a class that you never thought you would ever take. College is an awesome time to explore things you never thought you would.
  • When living in a residence hall, do your laundry during the week to avoid the weekend rush.
  • Fridays are for fun and Sundays are for work!

These are just a few of the many things I have learned here at Whitman. As I look toward my future, I know that the lessons I have learned both inside and outside of the classroom here at Whitman will always serve me well. While my own immediate post-grad plans involve me making the trek down to Dallas, Texas to work for a Food Service company at Southern Methodist University, I know that my Whitman experience has prepared me to tackle any challenge or job with a strong drive, unwavering excitement, and relentless desire to learn. So, for the final time, I am signing off. Thank you for joining me on my Whitman journey!

-Andrew Rivas