Managing your expectations as a prospective student…

As you enter the last semester of high school and begin to look forward to your new life in college, it may help to remember a few things.

Don’t rush it.

I know it can seem like high school cannot end soon enough and that if you stay for one more minute your head might explode, but at least try to be patient. After you leave, there’s no going back to “the way things were before,” (as cheesy as it sounds) whether you want to or not. Embrace the last few months in your home with your friends and family. Try to enjoy it while it lasts and stay in the moment. You’ll have plenty of time to look forward later.

Keep your fantasies in check.

I can remember what it was like to know where I was going to school and be so excited to get there right away, this amazing place I had built up in my head, expecting everything to be perfect and amazing and just what I wanted. And not to say that college can’t be that, it most certainly can. But be prepared for it to be hard too. Adjusting to a new life in a new place surrounded by new people is exciting and awesome, yes, but it can, and will, be a little scary at first. Try to make yourself aware of that now, embrace it, and get ready for it the best you can.

Get excited.

All this is not to say that you can’t be super stoked for the future though. Do it. Get excited. Let that anticipation carry you through the final months of senior year (but don’t let it make you check out for the rest of your senior year).

Anyway, good luck. And you will be just fine.