We Aren’t In Walla Walla Anymore

One of my favorite things about being a choir kid is getting to be around other choir kids—that’s why I loved the past 5 days my Chamber Choir spent on tour in Boston. Under the direction of Professor Miles Canaday and Professor Paul Luongo, the Whitman Orchestra and Chamber Singers flew to the East Coast to bring our Spring repertoire (Velez and Corette) to the MIT campus. Our trip was action packed and included plans both expected and unexpected. Here are a few photos I took to document our fun-filled journey of traveling, rehearsing, performing, learning, exploring, and getting caught in a snowstorm. Spending an extra impromptu night in an inn somewhere in northern Oregon isn’t so bad when you have good company!

Immediately upon arriving in Boston, we marveled at the size of the buildings and realized that we definitely weren’t in Walla Walla anymore.

A cold, rainy walk was worth the view.

A couple days yielded clear skies, and thus group photos!

We were too excited to go to sleep on our first night, so naturally we sought out some late night karaoke.

We rose bright and early the next morning and headed to Kresge Hall on the MIT campus to rehearse for our upcoming performance.

On our performance day, the Orchestra and Chamber singers enjoyed the vibrant colors of Kresge Hall.

Chamber Singers warming up their voices to sing Velez’s “Nei Sogni” followed by Corette’s “Laudate Dominum.”

After attending a performance by the world-renowned Boston Symphony Orchestra, our group got a personal tour of the historical Boston Symphony Hall.

We were fascinated by how much underground storage space Boston Symphony Hall had hidden beneath the stage.

After receiving news that our flight back to Seattle was canceled due to a snowstorm, a few of us ventured to Paul Revere’s house to soak up as much of Boston as we could.

The best shopping and food we had took place here at Quincy Market: the Pike Place of the East Coast.

During our final stretch to Walla Walla after getting our first flight canceled, our bus broke down in Dalles, Oregon, stranding us in a little hotel before finally arriving back on campus the next morning. A long journey, but smiles nevertheless!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *