Fall in Walla Walla

The satisfying crunch of leaves under my boots as I walk to class signals the beginning of fall in Walla Walla! It’s not hard to spot fall on campus thanks to our 1:1 student to tree ratio. Before coming to Whitman, I had never seen such vibrant trees with ranges of yellows and reds that I didn’t know existed. Residence halls start firing up their fireplaces and apple cider packets are put out in the dining halls. Students bust out their warm jackets and corduroy pants while they reluctantly put their tank tops away for next summer. I also find more and more ducks traveling in packs to paddle in Lakum Duckum to stay warm!

There are a variety of fall activities to do around town. The corn maze is a popular activity for Whitties during the month of October. I find the normal maze scary enough, but for those looking to put more spooky in the season, there is also a haunted corn maze with live actors that is sure to be a delight. The Klickers Farm Pumpkin Patch is also a fun place to go to take cute pics of you and your friends with your pumpkins. Hay slides and wagon rides are also available!

For those who are more food-motivated like me, a pumpkin spice latte at the Colville Street Patisserie on a cold rainy day is fantastic. The pastries at Patiss slowly take on their autumn evolutions, such as pumpkin quickbread and cinnamon gelato. You can pair these snacks with a seasonal butternut squash panini at Graze. Even at Cleveland, the Comfort line is often the most packed, and content bellies are filled with good ol’ mac and cheese. While I prefer the warmth of summer to the cold, there is something special about being able to snuggle up in a cozy blanket while studying for midterms.