Fall Fashion at Whitman

Coming from a place like Los Angeles, where fashion was a large part of my life, I was surprised to find that Whitman style was very different from anything I was used to. Whitman has a reputation for a very outdoorsy style, filled with Patagonia and Birkenstocks, and my personal preppy aesthetic felt out of place. However, there are many people that do not fit the OP (Outdoor Program) kid aesthetic, so I made a point to write about some of the variety of fashion you can see on campus. Here are some great fall looks by some of my classmates below!

Clara Epelman
Sophomore 
Redwood City, California
Who or what are you inspired by in fashion? What do you look for in an outfit?
In middle school, my signature was a terribly floral and overwhelming puffy jacket combined with either ill-fitting justice jeans or my favorite neon blue old navy cargo shorts. In high school, I really embraced that angst (I was super lazy and hated femme clothes), so I stuck to jeans, hoodies, and the occasional theatre t-shirt. Then I discovered Gossip Girl, and my life changed forever.   I’m actually mostly kidding about this but in my first year of college, I learned about the power of the the headband and the prep (‘preppy’ clothes like turtlenecks, loafers, etc) that not only makes me feel POWERFUL asf, but I just feel ready to take on the world. I guess I really may be channeling Blair Waldorf lol.I already touched on this a bit, but I really like mixing preppy clothes with stereotpyical ‘F boy’ clothes- like a white mini dress paired with a turtleneck and air jordan sneakers for that intriquing clash of worlds.
But honestly it’s really a toss up. I feel like the more stressed I am, the more effort I put into an outfit I really like, so that I can feel powerful and ready to tear up my day 🙂

My style has definitely changed since coming here, but not towards the stereotypical whittie fashion (like birks, chacos, patagonias, etc). I like to imagine myself after Whitman, traversing the streets of Manhattan, and try to picture how I want to look like. So my style has gotten more mature and fancyish?
Actually though, when in doubt, put on a headband.

Sam Cleary
Sophomore
Seattle, Washington
Who or what are you inspired by in fashion? What do you look for in an outfit?I look for warmth and contrast in my outfits. I enjoy warm boots and thick flannel that cuts through the crisp air. I also enjoy the Lands End look to look smart and on the preppy side of things.

Has your style changed since coming to Whitman? Why or why not?
My fashion has not changed coming to Whitman! I still wear all the same clothes from High School, which in the Fall had similar chilly weather requiring an outfit with both form and function.

Aby Ramata
First Year
Lusaka, Zambia

I love shopping in local markets – I find artisanal and simple things back home and seeing the colors and the beauty that people make is so impressive to me and makes me so incredibly inspired. I’m always happy to take time to choose something I love and then wear it with pride. I’m also inspired by my grandmother who made me appreciate feeling beautiful and she is still so beautiful even though she’s not so young!
I don’t think I fit in with fashion at Whitman, but it’s fine because I like standing out and I love feeling unique here! I need to wear pieces that remind me of home and I think that it is key to where I am from, so I keep up this style.

Elliot Wholey
Sophomore
Santa Cruz, California

E-boys and Beetlejuice

Yes because I’ve been able to grow into myself and express that through my clothes!

Bornnie Kabongo
Sophomore
Lusaka, Zambia

I am inspired by various fashion icons like Addis Miller, Broderick Hunter, Luka Sabbat and others too. Importantly, my inspiration is birthed in Congo DR where I am from originally, here, the dapper dresses are a part of Congolese subculture devoted to a cult of style. It generally makes me feel a lot more confident and happier when I dress well because it reminds me of where I am from and my roots.

My style hasn’t changed much since I moved to the US. The only thing is I have a lot more appreciation for fall and spring which I have never experienced before. The beautiful colours allow me to experiment with different types of style and see how they compliment each other.