Pacific Northwest Student of Color Conference

The weekend of November 2nd-3rd was the annual Pacific Northwest Student of Color Conference (PNWSOCC) and it was hosted by Willamette University in Salem, Oregon. I was privileged enough to attend, a fully funded trip by the intercultural center (shoutout to Jennifer Lopez) with other students of color. Not only was it a wonderful learning experience, but I was able to be in such a fun and comfortable environment with people that share the same struggles as me. On Saturday, I attended two workshops: one about using photoshop to create posters & one about the Willie Lynch letter.

Learning how to easily make posters online was such a useful skill that I plan on using as an activist. I didn’t know something so simple was so easily in reach and accessible. The Willie Lynch letter brought a brand new piece of important text to my eyes for the first time. I realized how such a controversial piece is vital in reflecting on American history. 

If you are passionate about something or want to expand your skill set, search for conferences where you think you belong! It is so simple to get it funded by Whitman and it such a valuable experience to your life as a Whittie.