Week in the Life of a Whitman Student

Every day is different in the life of a Whitman student, but it’s important to have a base routine so there’s always at least some sense of consistency.

I usually wake up around 7 am to go to the gym for about an hour. Then I get ready for the day and meet my friend, August for breakfast at 9, this is my favorite part of the day. Breakfast usually consists of an English muffin, some fruit, and coffee on weekdays but waffles are a weekend treat. I always have my first class at 10. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, my 10am is beginning acting where I get to push myself out of my comfort zone and explore something I never thought I would. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays that class is Music in Society where I get to learn about how music has developed over time and how it has coincided with important, impactful times throughout history. That class is followed by Encounters which is the introduction to college reading and writing course every first-year has to take at Whitman. I typically eat lunch after this class. On Mondays and Wednesdays I also have a politics class at 1pm called Socialism, Communism, Democracy where I get to explore the impacts on different political and economic institutions on the way people get to participate in politics. That may sound like quite a bit but I love my schedule this semester, I have a great mix of classes and find it all very easy to manage because I always look forward to those classes.

I also really look forward to dinner, which I usually eat at 6.

Extracurriculars also have a rather consistent place in my weekly routines. I usually have a ASWC Sustainability Committee meeting at 8pm on Monday night, Debate practice from 4pm to 7pm Wednesday nights, and Senate alternating Sunday nights. I also have club tennis Monday and Wednesday nights from 9pm to 10pm.

When I’m not in the library doing homework or studying, I usually spend my free time dancing, listening to music, throwing around a volleyball or cooking with my friends. Friday afternoons are usually my favorite, because I’m done with class and I have the whole weekend ahead of me to catch up on work and sleep while also taking time for myself.