Fall Highlights

Even though fall technically lasts until the 21st of December, I am writing my fall highlights blog now. As soon as Thanksgiving ends it is the Holiday Season, and I can’t think of carols and candy canes and latkes as fall specialties. It’s hard enough trying to keep Christmas tunes out of my life until Thanksgiving to fight for a fall through December. So, as long as we are on the same page that fall is over as soon as the turkey leftovers are put in the fridge, it is the right time for this blog. 

This fall was the most exciting fall I have ever experienced. I started life here at Whitman and it has been a whirlwind. I feel like it was only a week ago that I had my first test but also a year since I last saw home. With the new environment came new ways to enjoy my favorite season, which I will try to summarize for you all here. 

Weather
Probably my favorite thing about fall is the weather. I love being able to feel every breath in the cold air, or smelling the first rain after a long summer. In Walla Walla the fall brought heavenly below 70 degrees (Fahrenheit) nights, and after three weeks without AC in the dorms I was ready for some cooler weather. I like the sunshine, but it is so much better after it has been gone for a few days. It was nice to hear the rain, feel the wind blowing, and traverse through thick fog again. Best of all, I finally got to wear sweaters and coats again!

Mail

One of my favorite activities this fall was going down to Reid Campus Center and checking my mail. It was so much fun opening care packages, birthday gifts, and letters from home.

Festivals
Fall always has my favorite festivals of the year. I am slightly biased since my birthday falls among those, but after a fall semester at Whitman I find that there are plenty of Walla Walla festivities to back up my favorite season. There was the Mid-Autumn Festival put on by the Asian Study House, filled with traditions and mooncakes. Halloween at Whitman brought dorm decorating competitions, pumpkin carving for parents weekend, and adorable trick or treaters through campus. Dia de los Muertos got attention from the Walla Walla community at the festival downtown. I loved getting a chance to see ofrendas, printmaking, calaveras, traditional music, and dancing (some from our very own Ritmos Latinos club). There was even a cider pressing party advertised by the college. And then there’s Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays, and it coming with a much needed week-long break made it even better this year.

Going Home

It was fun being out on my own, but I did get homesick. Coming home for Thanksgiving was wonderful, and I know a lot of Whitties needed a break. 

Food
Speaking of Thanksgiving, another reason fall is my favorite season is the food! After drinking cold things and eating ice cream all summer the weather finally allows hot desserts and drinks to be consumed once more! There is hot chocolate, tea, coffee, chai, and hot mulled apple cider (all found at the Bon Appetit Cafes). Nothing embodies the taste of fall like crisp apple cider. Apples, pears, pumpkins, squash, and corn all come to the table at harvest festivals. And then there are the Thanksgiving foods. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yams with marshmallows on top, gravy, cranberry sauce, and sweet sweet pumpkin pie. If fresh delicious fall foods don’t make your mouth water, just think about the Halloween candy. 

Registration
Starting to take college classes was a great part of this semester, but registering for new ones was even better. The first registration was super stressful for me, but two months later I felt prepared for my registration. I feel like I have a better sense of what I am doing, and I am super excited for my classes next semester!

Leaves

I was worried coming to Walla Walla that I would miss the trees back home. There aren’t a lot of evergreens or maples advertised in the postcards from the eastern side of Washington. But oh how I was wrong. Weather wet with rain, coated in frost, dried up in the sun, in a stream, stuck to a ducks foot, I love leaves! The trees within the city of Walla Walla are gorgeous! Beneath every tree was a mosaic of fallen leaves, a myriad of crunchy color swatches to kick up on my way to class. I didn’t know Styx could look prettier, but I was proved wrong; it’s prettier backdropped against the fading trees.  Blood reds, pinks, and a whole lot of golden leaves at Whitman made this the most colorful fall I have ever seen.

Fall is the best season. It is my favorite season for many reasons, but it is the best season because it has things that everyone enjoys. It has the best weather, the best festivals, the best food, and is the prettiest season of all. I am sad it is over, and that I have to wait another year before I can enjoy its many wonders again. But now it is time for my second favorite season: Winter!