Meet the Bloggers

Yep, our bloggers are real Whitman students!  But, don’t take our word for it, here’s a little about our Summer Bloggers in their own words…

Jessica Kostelnik

Hello! My name is Jessica, and I am a student intern for the Admissions Office this summer. I am originally a Colorado native, but have transplanted to the Pacific Northwest for a new adventure. After this summer in Walla Walla, I will be a senior here at Whitman. On campus I am involved in a variety of activities: I am a member of Alpha Phi; an Ultimate Frisbee player with the Lady Sweets; an Information Desk employee; and a speech tutor. In my free time, I’m usually at the library trying to catch up. The Rhetoric department is my academic home. The professors within my major are incredible. I am taking some of the most dynamic and innovative classes at Whitman because the major is still new to campus. Additionally, I am a Film & Media Studies minor. I justify my obsessive TV watching through academic analysis!

This summer I will be settling into my new off-campus house after a semester living in Prague. I hope to explore some of Walla Walla’s natural beauty and prep for a busy senior year. Fortunately, this summer has already included a wide variety of barbecues and sunbathing. I’m feeling refreshed and ready to dabble my feet back into work. As an Admissions Intern, I will be getting to share what my Whitman experience has meant to me. I hope to bring a strong work-ethic and a love for this campus.

Ryan Witherspoon

Hey y’all! My name is Ryan, and I am very excited to be a Summer  Intern for the Admissions Office. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California and now reside the lovely small town of Walla Walla. This fall I will be a senior at Whitman, and am majoring in Sociology with a minor in Psychology. I’ve worked as an Resident Advisor in one of our freshman residence halls, Anderson Hall, and have also worked as a member of the Student Life Board. In addition to work, I also am a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon, a singer in Whitman College’s Chorale, and a member of PRISM (Whitmans’s GLBTQ+ club).

While I’m heavily involved in the Whitman community as of now, I wasn’t too sure of Whitman when I first arrived. However, I eventually became hooked by it’s friendly community and caring professors and now I’ve never looked back. Part of my goal here as an Admission Intern is to help expand the Whitman love by showing prospective students the same sublime energy of the tight-knit community I found when I came to campus.

Adyiam Kimbrough

Greetings! My name is Adyiam, a rising junior here at Whitman, and a Politics major from Worthington, Minnesota. During the school year, I pass my time in the music hall in Whitman’s Chorale, or singing away in the all-female a capella group, Sirens of Swank. In addition, I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, and involved with the First-Generation and Working Class Club and the Black Student Union. Once a week, I tutor elementary students in Spanish at Green Park Elementary and volunteer for the Blue Mountain Action Council when I get the chance. I am a person that loves to keep busy, so in my free time, I hit the gym and hangout with friends on Ankeny Field. I also hold on-campus jobs as an Info Desk worker, Social Media Coordinator for the Whitman Wire newspaper, and the Glover Alston Center building manager.

As a first-generation and working class student, I have been able to fully immerse myself into the college life fairly easily, all because of endless opportunities and investment that Whitman has given to me, and I will forever be grateful for that. Now that I am in the position as an Admission Intern, I want to share my story and experiences with potential Whitties because I believe everyone has a place at Whitman.