Reader Response to Rose: Sites and Audiencing in Nancy

One of the most striking things to me in Gillian Rose’s chapter on visual methodologies is how many different aspects of a visual there are. Printed pictures are so much more than the shapes and lines that made them but instead have a complex past history and future life as they are view by new audiences.* For example by looking at the sites and audiencing, the Nancy comic strip “Draw, You Varmit” featured in Mark Newgarden and Paul Karasik’s “How to Read Nancy” has additional layers of meaning.

Using Rose’s framework the first two sites are “the production of an image and the site of the image itself” (16). Ernie Bushmiller wrote, illustrated and produced “Nancy” himself which is different then some comic that has an extensive team of editors, writers, pencillers and colorists. Bushmiller’s more straightforward production mirrors the easily understood style of Nancy. The next site of the image itself can be analyzed as Newgarden and Karasik through breaking down the comic into it’s different components and the looking at how they fit together to produce the gag.

The third site Rose lays out is Audiencing which is “the process by which a particular image has its meanings renegotiated, or even rejected, by particular audiences watching in specific circumstances” (25). While audiencing could be simplified to the fact that different people view images differently, it can actually be an area of extensive analysis. The “Draw, You Varmit” Nancy strip was published in newspapers and so was viewed by many people in a variety of settings. Newspapers are often read at home and so that combined with the technological site- a printed newspaper page leads to a unique viewing experience. In newspapers the reader can flip through the pages easily bringing less attention to individual visuals like Nancy. Comic strips are also cluster together on one or two pages making Nancy one of many comics so it generally blends into the newspaper comic style.

As students reading “Draw, You Varmit” in How to Read Nancy we had a unique viewing experience. I printed the reading and so was seeing what was a digital copy of the comic strip printed on printer paper, a vastly different technological audiencing then someone reading the strip in a newspaper where it was originally published. Also because this was an assigned class reading I read the comic with the expectation that it would be complex, interesting and worthwhile. After the initial surprise at the simplicity of Nancy, Newgarden and Karasik’s  architectural analysis made the comic into more of what I expected. As a student I was conditioned to look at the details of Nancy changing the visual itself, if audiencing is considered a part of the visual as Rose does. As we, as a class, continued to view and experience Nancy the social aspect of the visual changed. We discussed Nancy as a complex architectural image which also contrasts the audiencing of the image when viewed by an individual in a newspaper

*Disclaimer, I haven’t taken any art or art history classes so maybe this is a basic concept – but it’s new to me!

34 thoughts on “Reader Response to Rose: Sites and Audiencing in Nancy

1. parkerl

Hi Willa, I think you bring up great points about how important the context we read something in is in terms of how we interpret it. Over just the few days we have had in class thus far I have found myself reexamining past comics and graphic novels we have read with the tools we are learned so far. I am sure if I was to re-read those texts in this setting I would interpret them differently.

2. David James

I found this is an informative and interesting blog so I think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this blog. Ludo Game

3. Priya

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful information particularly the last part 🙂

4. priyanshi

Really nice content … Admin… Have great information I contribute with your experienced… I hope you post again soon. I am very happy to leave a comment for this blog, which really put honest information… Online dating Apps

5. Successpoint

It was a very nice and informative, I really like such kinds of post ever, thanks for sharing such kinds of the post here, kindly update your post with the new same content
    MBA UAE

6. myaccountaccess.com

My record access has various highlights which have changed the method for working and made numerous things simple for its holders. For instance in bygone era when a client is requesting financial record the he/she needs to hang tight for long time and on the off chance that they discovered a few blunders in explanation that needed to sit tight again for settling of issues. Be that as it may, the online site myaccountaccess.com gives its clients capacity to check all the exchange subtleties, status on the web. Anytime of time when proprietor acknowledges making changes in installment then he/she has the ability to refresh things inside time and in particular these progressions are additionally permitted from clients’ cell phones.

7. social security login

There are various ways to contact with social security administration such as phone, mail and internet. You can direct call on help line number for social security my account. They will help the customer any query of regarding my social security. Like create an account, guideline to open an account or any issue of account.

8. outlook mail login

Available as a part of MS Office, Outlook is an email client that offers more than just emailing. With its built-in features such as calendar, note taking, journal, and contact manager, Outlook simplifies managing and organizing of hotmail login. It can be successfully installed on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS operating systems. Among several exceptional features, adding a signature to your email is the one that we all usually require.

9. forgot apple id password

There are lots of ways to deal with get my apple id password forgot or recover your ignored apple id mystery key. We are working for change apple id password, apple id reset, apple id mystery expression reset, reset neglected apple id and a ton progressively about apple id issue. You can connect with us online on our webpage or truly approach our toll free number 1-800-544-8083.

10. www aol com

Aol com login offers you the office to browse every one of the messages that are a piece of the single email, in one mail. You should simply to tap on one aol com login, and you will have the option to see all the past messages identified with that discussion.

11. social security administration

Individuals ought to be progressively cautious while utilizing my standardized savings account login as there are different procedures where SSN isn’t obligatory. In the event that it isn’t compulsory, at that point don’t give it, really if an individual is requesting SSN that doesn’t mean or demonstrate that specific individual is approved or your standardized savings number is truly required. It is smarter to keep your government managed savings number and my social security sign secret and it is prompted that don’t convey for SSN card until and except if you have uncommon utilize or errand for that day.

12. https www myaccountaccess com

On the off chance that you wish to make installment of bills, at that point you need to get access for myaccountaccess.com. So as a matter of first importance make visit to legitimate site of myaccountaccess login and afterward after simply enter your necessary data like client name, secret key and so on. Mercifully ensure that all data which you are giving must be exact and keep them mystery from any sort of unapproved getting to.

13. apple id password reset

Change Apple id Password support by apple secret key reset group with live professional. We resolve your iforgot apple id secret key reset issue and that’s just the beginning. Which includes my apple id password forgot, change apple id password, apple id password reset, change apple id.

14. hotmail.com login

You are using hotmail.com login then you need to best in class it a chance to time else you may face record get the opportunity to botch. Think of us as our particular assistance gathering to get some answers concerning it. Click hotmail mail login for more detail.

15. anderson harris

دبی بزرگ ترین و پر جمعیت ترین شهر کشور امارات متحده است .این شهر یکی از بهترین و لوکس ترین شهرهای آسیایی است که در منطقه خاورمیانه قرار گرفته است و در نیم قرن اخیر پیشرفت های بسیار زیادی داشته است.این شهر هر ساله افراد زیادی را به دلایل مختلف از جملع تجارت, گردشگری و یا صادرات و واردات جذب می کند.
    این شهر در جنوب کشور عزیزمان ایران و در مجاورت با خلیج فارس قرار گرفته است و به همین دلیل تور دبی یکی از پر طرفدارترین و محبوب ترین تورها برای ایرانیان است.همچنین سفر به دبی یکی از ارزان ترین سفرها برای ایرانیان است.البته این ارزانی به دلیل نزدیکی مسافت بین دبی و ایران است به جز این مورد باید بگویم که دبی یکی از گران قیمت ترین شهرهای آسیایی است.

16. Alex

I was looking for your article about woman in contemporany comics and would like to say thanks for sharing this useful content,

Hope to read more articles like this one,

Best regards,

Alex from Brazil ( https://seucarro.net/ )