WEEK FIVE: SOMETIMES I DO SCHOOLWORK

This past week was an unfortunate reminder that yes, occasionally I have to lock down and get actual schoolwork done. I’ve really enjoyed my classes because the material has been very interesting and my professors are very cool and competent; I have also enjoyed my classes because other than quite a bit of reading, I basically have no homework.

I had two rather lengthy essays due this week, however, so I spent plenty of time in the library researching and writing. But no, they’re done and I don’t have anything due until April. So that’s neat. I would highly suggest that Whitman start using this academic structure of basically never turning stuff in (cc: George Bridges, cc: whoever the new president is).

The rest of this blog post will be in bullet points because it’s my blog and I want to do bullet points this time, so stop complaining, ok? Ok.

• Cool Old Dude of the Week: A couple weeks ago I introduced Bob, a very cool old dude who was a former St. Andrews caddy and talked my ear off and gave me food. What a guy. This week, I met this awesome old fella who was once the superintendent for all the St. Andrews courses and then traveled all over the world consulting other golf courses. Unfortunately, I didn’t catch his name, but it doesn’t matter because he doesn’t read this blog anyways. Whatever.
  • My Body is Betraying Me, Pt. 3 and 4: So far, I have pulled my hamstring and gotten the stomach flu in my short stint at St. Andrews. Well, there’s more! This week’s segment of “My Body is Betraying Me” is a double feature. On Tuesday, I slept weird and then couldn’t move my neck for like three days. I had to turn my whole torso to look to my side, and I couldn’t look up. I looked like a crazy person. Then, on Sunday I hurt my knee in the first few minutes of playing soccer for the first time since pulling my hamstring about a month ago. My teammates probably think I’m a fragile baby, and they’re probably right. But actually I’m pretty sure my knee is fine and I’m hoping I’ll play tomorrow.
  • Cool Weekend Trip Pt. 2: Last weekend I stayed in Glasgow for a few days, and it was dope. This weekend, I was less ambitious, just taking a day trip, but it was lovely. Along with my friends Jeff and Collin, I went to Stirling, neat little town a couple hours away. The main attraction is Stirling Castle, which massive, super interesting, and very historically significant, especially in regards to the centuries-long conflict between Scotland and England. We toured the castle for a couple hours, then went into town, grabbed lunch at a pub, and looked at all the other neat old buildings.
  • My plans for the upcoming week are pretty up in the air. If my knee is feeling good, I’ll try to get out and play some soccer, but we’ll see. My weekend is also totally free, so I might take another trip, potentially to Edinburgh. Currently I’m listening to Kanye West’s most recent single and eating donuts. I feel like a king.