The Buddy Program: Gettin’ Crafty!

One of our community buddies, Mary, showing me her picture frame!

With Fall bringing chillier temperatures and shorter days, the Buddy Program has moved indoors! On October 16th, Whitman students met up with their community buddies in Reid Campus Center to get crafty and make picture frames for the photos they took during the photo scavenger-hunt on October 3rd. It was fun to see the thought and creativity that each buddy put into their work–we’ve got some true artists in this group!

Rachel Brock '16 and her community buddy Rachel got especially creative, making a birdhouse out of the supplies they were given!

Rachel Brock ’16 and her community buddy Rachel got especially creative, making a birdhouse out of the supplies they were given!

Along with interacting with our community buddies, I had the opportunity to talk with a number of the parents and guardians who bring the community buddies to our programs. Hearing about their experiences raising, living with, and working with special-needs individuals is truly inspiring, and serves as a constant reminder of why I took on this job. I’m excited to see what else I can learn from them as the year continues!

,