Make a Difference Day 2014

On Saturday, October 18th, 117 Whitman students went out to serve on over a dozen service projects. SCORE groups were reunited, friendships were kindled, and a difference was most certainly made. Whitties gardened, cleaned, promoted, planted, and so much more in their effort to make service their thing. We are proud to have contributed so many volunteers to this national day of service. At the end of the day, any participants reflected on their experiences, especially how their service relates to their life goals:

I want to make events like Make a Difference Day and Service Saturday a tradition during my time at Whitman”

I love that art is seen as valuable to the community, and it is certainly personally important to me.”

I want to be a doctor and taking care of others and caring for their well-being is an important aspect of the career.”

I want to stay involved in my community after Whitman.”

I loved reuniting with my SCORE and with the people from other SCOREs. I also loved seeing the progress made at Valle Lindo since I was last there.”

Service¬†is fun!”

Thank you so much to the dedicated volunteers who participated, the amazing interns and staff of the Student Engagement Center, and the incredible community partners who hosted our students. Events like this would not be possible without your support, leadership, and commitment.

,