Get Inspired to Pitch It! – Stories From Last Year’s GEW Winners

Last year, three Whitman students participated in and WON the community competition for Global Entrepreneurship Week – Pain in the Glass.  Cody Burchfield ’16, John Lee ’16 and Fernando Medina Corey ’14 created a business plan for Walla Walla Sea Glass and ended up with $1500 for their efforts.

Here are some reflections and thoughts for this year’s event from Cody & John.

Cody Burchfield:

We hold ourselves to very high standards at Whitman and often doubt ourselves when we develop really strong ideas.

Last year, I didn’t think that participating in Global Entrepreneurship Week would be worth my time.

I was wrong.

Fernando Medina Corey and John Lee talked me into participating, and I began developing a prototype of our product: Walla Walla Sea Glass. Our solution proved to be the most feasible option in a city lacking the funds to recycle glass. We were awarded $1,500 for placing first in the business plan competition!

I learned that we hold ourselves to very high standards at Whitman and often doubt ourselves when we develop really strong ideas. I believe that we should push ourselves to participate in efforts to solve our community’s problems. Four years of critical thinking is worthless without real world application.

John Lee:

The opportunity to refine my idea and pitch it to  the judges and potentially a company CEO will be invaluable…

Entrepreneurship has always been one of my primary interests and I am looking forward to participating in this year’s Pitch It! contest. This year I plan to present Letsvid – an idea for a charitable video-based social network I have been working on for two years. I plan on expanding Letsvid to become a larger platform capable of allowing others to share their content whilst benefiting charitable causes. The opportunity to refine my idea and pitch it to  the judges and potentially a company CEO will be invaluable to me as I enter the next stage of planning for Letsvid.

The winning video from last year’s Pain in the Glass contest:

This year’s competition is a pitch competition inspired by the television show Shark Tank.  If you have a product, service or business idea you’d like to pitch, SIGN-UP NOW for Pitch It!.  For details about the competition and an explanation of the guidelines and judging rubric, please contact Kim Rolfe, Director for Business Engagement in the Student Engagement Center.

One comment on “Get Inspired to Pitch It! – Stories From Last Year’s GEW Winners