A Night of Memories

Something that first started as an idea soon became a reality. On November 12th, the Whitman Mentor Program hosted its first annual Family Dinner at Greenpark Elementary School.

Families and Mentors enjoy  a nice dinner

Families and Mentors enjoy a nice dinner

This event helped bridge both mentors and their mentee’s family to connect with one another through a delicious meal and a fun activity. Mentors had the chance to talk and know more about their mentee’s family. As a fun activity, mentees and mentors decorated leaves and turkey cookies.

Kids Decorate Leaves and Turkeys

Kids Decorate Leaves and Turkey Cookies

One mentor reflected on her experience and said “Not only did it make me appreciate what I have a lot more, it helped me understand my mentee’s background and her struggles and it made me want to be an even better mentor for her.”

This event would not have been a great success without the help and support of a few amazing women. I would like to give a huge shout out to Barbara Thatcher, Intervention Specialist at Greenpark Elementary School, for all her work and dedication to this event. Big thanks to Susan Prudente, our supervisor, for believing in this idea and to Rina Wulfing, Mentor Program Intern, for all the support in making this a successful event.

On a last note, I am grateful to say that prior to Thanksgiving Break, we were granted with our request of $495 from the Associated Students of Whitman College (ASWC) the Service Learning Organization (SOL) Fund in order to continue with this event in the other five elementary schools.

Jessy Cherry '16 along with her mentee Mireya and her family take a family picture

Jessy Cherry ’16 along with her mentee Mireya and her family take a family picture

,