Summer Intern Afton Weaver ’20 Provides Financial Advice at Ameriprise Financial in Camp Hill, PA

During my time at Ameriprise Financial I have learned that a day in the life of a financial advisor is, apart from including several cups of coffee, anything but consistent. In an industry revolving around volatile financial markets, political events, and consumer habits, advisors must
work to continuously adapt to these changes in order to accommodate each client’s goals. At the office, the TV permanently displays the financial news, and The Wall Street Journal among other economic literaries scatter the office encouraging us to keep up to date with the constant inflow of current events. Interning at Ameriprise Financial has certainly kept me on my toes.

The most exciting aspect of my internship is that my tasks vary from day to day. On Monday of this week I participated in two client meetings and observed how a financial advisor discusses accounts with his/her clients. On Tuesday, my assignment was to identify clients under certain asset tiers that need to be contacted by their advisors. On Wednesday, I made calls to those clients, updating them on their account status, informing them about any information we may need from them and asking them if they have any questions or concerns regarding their account. I then forwarded the notes from these conversations to my supervisor. On Thursday I attended an advisor conference at a nearby hotel where we had two lectures given by an experienced advisor who talked to us about identifying IRAs that are best for certain types of clients at different stages of their lives. To finish out the week, on Friday, I completed a training session on one of the company’s learning resources, Ameriprise University, where I delved more into the topics of IRAs and Mutual Funds. So despite being thought of as a typical nine-to-five office job, no two days are ever the same.

The week I just described details only my first week as an intern at Ameriprise Financial. So as you can imagine the succeeding weeks have introduced me to so much more in the Afton Weaver financial services field. I think one of the biggest impacts of this internship has been how I perceive the job description of a financial advisor. I have come to realize that this career is concerned with far more than Capital Gains or earning people money through investments. In fact, the primary goal is to prepare families, individuals, and businesses for the future so that
they will be financially secure. It makes staying late in the office well worth it when I know that my work is meaningful.

Experiences like Afton’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Victoria Wolff.