Mission: The Walla Walla Symphony delights and challenges our community by providing live orchestral performances and opportunities for learning about music.
Project: The Fellow will assist in three different programs geared towards education and community engagement. Our Fellow will work with the Walla Walla Symphony Youth Orchestra (WWSYO) by mentoring young musicians, help with expanding the “Link Up” program geared towards 3rd-5th graders, and finally help with the continuing expansion of the Heart Beat Program by bringing concerts to the VA, Juvenile Justice Center, and Washington State Penitentiary.
This position is available to Whitman College juniors and seniors who are eligible to work in the U.S. and able to work the entire academic year, September 2017-May 2018.
Title of Fellow: Symphony Community Fellow
Proposed Hours of Work/Days of Week: Monday Evenings, 5:45-8:45pm (Youth Orchestra rehearsal), other hours to be mutually determined based on Fellow’s schedule; total of 150-160 hours for the academic year plus 20 hours for bi-weekly meetings with Fellow group
Supervisor’s Name and Contact Info: Nathanael Fleming, ’16, Program Coordinator, email@example.com
Please apply via email with your resume and cover letter.
Review of application materials:
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis (last day to apply is Sept. 10th)
- Valuable teaching/mentoring experience
- Understanding how a non-profit music organization works
- Arts administration experience
- Musician (string player preferred)
- Highly organized
- Interest in working with young people
- Organized with key attention to detail
- Is comfortable using office computer programs and equipment (PC, Microsoft Office, copier, etc.)
- Is able to lift 40 lbs.
- Fellow will work closely with WWSYO, coaching, teaching and mentoring the young musicians throughout the school year
- Fellow will work with Program Coordinator and CEO around expansion of “Link Up”, the Symphony’s Youth and Family Concert initiative
- Fellow will work with Program Coordinator in continuing expansion of Heart Beat Program to the VA Medical Center, Juvenile Justice Center, and Washington State Penitentiary
- Event support at all Symphony concerts and events
- Weekly attendance at Youth Orchestra rehearsals and attendance at all concerts (serve as string coach, lead sectionals, play in group, help with music prep and bowing work, help with setup and clean up)
- Attendance at all Symphony events helping with set-up, customer service, and tear-down.
Student Fellows must be eligible, willing, and able to work entire academic year, September 2017-May 2018 (except for Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring breaks).