Summer Intern Austin Butler ’19 Creates Depth Charts Analyzes at Glushon Sports Management in Santa Monica, CA

I have worked on a multitude of projects this summer for my sports management agency. There are four other interns besides myself and we rotate working on a few different categorical assignments. There is social media representation which I’m best at and in this role it’s my job to gain as many followers on Instagram and twitter as well as represent our clients and make sure I’m posting or retweeting any current and relevant information about them. A few other tasks include statistical analysis which is basically comparing our clients statistical game numbers to others in the NBA to gauge what our player’s worth should be come time to sign a new contract, for example. We have also done cold calling to grocery stores and car dealerships essentially looking to engage in a partnership between our client and them, one that provides our clients with free groceries for the year or a car to drive. Calling fifty places gets you about forty eight no’s and two yes’s making this one of the more difficult tasks I’ve had.

But currently I’m working on a depth chart analysis project. This project is fluid and I’m constantly working and editing it, mostly because the month of July is when most of the league transactions occur, like player signings and trades. My job is to keep an up-to-date depth chart of all thirty teams in the NBA on PowerPoint that includes the players’ depth chart spots and annual contracts and salaries.

The other interns and I work out of two separate offices one in Encino California and the other Santa Monica. The majority of the time we work out of the Santa Monica office and I wake up every morning around seven AM to arrive by nine a.m. Once everyone arrives, my supervisor, Mr. Glushon, whom we just address as Jason or “Glu,” goes over the plan for the day with all of us and let’s each of us know what he wants us to work on, then asks if we have enough work or any questions. Mr. Glushon is an amazing boss. He is very laid back and only requires us to wear polo shirts and jeans; it’s a very casual environment. He often stresses not be afraid to ask any questions because no question is a bad one. He also always makes sure we leave and have a long lunch break.

I usually work from about nine to four each day of the week. However, some days when he can’t make it into the office he lets us work from home since all the work we do can be completed over the phone or on a laptop.

I went into this internship in order to get a better sense of what the day in the life of a sports agent entailed and so far I feel that I’ve gained so much knowledge about the field and have really learned that this is something I’m very passionate about (as I predicted I would be). I’ve already done a lot of good work that I’m proud of such as my depth chart analysis work or helping one of our clients get a partnership with a grocery store providing him with free groceries for the entire upcoming year. Ultimately this experience has been amazing and I’m so grateful for the opportunity Whitman has given me and only hope that it can continue to provide this program for students in the future.

Experiences like Austin’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Victoria Wolff