Kendra Winchester ’18 Restructures Database, Builds Connections at The Kid’s Place in Walla Walla, WA

My name is Kendra Winchester and I will graduate with a Rhetoric Studies degree in December 2018. My summer internship is at The Kid’s Place. Here, I am their Development and Fundraising Strategist. The Kid’s Place is a non-profit preschool and childcare facility where children from ages 18 months to 5 years old. It is located in Walla Walla, and is practically on our campus just around the corner from Reid Campus Center. They create a community of teachers, aids, and children that “encourages [them] to develop healthy relationships and to become active agents in their own education.” Although I am not present in classrooms each day, their mission radiates from the children and staff the moment I step foot in their facility. My duties involve facilitating ideas for this non-profit, as well as creating a database of past and present donors. I collaborate with staff to create these new strategies, too.

I am currently working on reviewing and restructuring the database that The Kid’s Place utilizes for alumni of the program as well as donors. I meet with my supervisor and director of The Kid’s Place, Julia Leavitt, once a week to discuss the progress I have made. This project involves collecting various information on our donors, all of which are intended to be direct lines of communication. As of now, I have cross-referenced each database that is partially completed in order to make sure that all current information is correct. From there I will restructure their most current database, which will contain multiple contact points for guardians and their children as well as alumni. Once this process is completed, I will introduce updated contact information. Based on their previous fundraising campaign, we found that quite of few of the letters sent (as seen in the photo), were not up to date. Once the most recent database is completed, our staff will need to brainstorm ways to get a hold of people who do not have updated information in our system. I expect that this may be the hardest part of this particular project.

Other projects that I will work on include, creating spaces on social media for The Kid’s Place. They currently have nothing in place for social media marketing or outreach. The hope here is to get a hold of more donors and alumni of the program so that they can be updated on what goes on in their facility. Another project will involve collaborating with Julia on their upcoming fundraising campaign for 2019. Each year they put on a fundraising campaign where they reach out to alumni of the program, past and present guardians of the program, and community partners for donations. I have pictured their actual facility as well as an example of last year’s fundraising letter that was sent to donors.

Experiences like Kendra’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Victoria Wolff.