Ben Beatie ’19 Builds Budgets, Uses Digital Marketing Skills at Hero Creative Media in Seattle, WA

My first few weeks at Hero Creative Media Group have been incredibly intellectually stimulating, while also equally demanding in terms of expectations and trust my co-workers put in me to deliver on projects. Hero Creative is a creative content / marketing agency located in Pioneer Square in Seattle, WA. Within my first week, I had been assigned to do research on an incoming request for proposal (RFP) from a prospective new client. I was equal parts enthused and anxious to be assigned to such an important project so early in my tenure working with the company.

My research, and ultimately, direct contributions on writing and creating the proposal of services, centered around the importance of brand development and increasing their marketing strategies for a destination-type vacation business with properties on Kauai and Maui. They have a very exclusive clientele but have poor website design and don’t advertise their business on typical travel or hotel sites, an intentional decision to keep the highly-affluent crowd of their target audience appeased. I was tasked with exploring advertising campaign options and suggesting a Demand-Side Platform (DSP) service to streamline which particular Exchanges (Supply-side Platforms / SSP) receive display-based marketing materials. DSP’s are advanced software tech which are designed to amplify the overall success of a given business’s marketing funnel.

I knew that I was going to be learning an expansive amount of new marketing buzzwords, vocabulary, and various acronyms, but I was surprised by the multidisciplinary practical experience I’ve have been be exposed to thus far during my internship. The marketing research and information has been incredibly scintillating and intriguing new information on a day to day basis, however I would say my opportunities to learn more financial and accounting work strategies have been truly enriching to my overall career technical skill sets. This week I have focused on generating budget outlines and marketing specific budget / categorical spending in graphical and empirical mediums for the prospective Hawaii residences client. I hope that our proposal presents itself to be a competitive offer and we can work with exciting marketing products / services, such as their different DSPs services later this summer.

The work environment in my office is very hands on and collaborative between all departments and employees. As Hero Creative is a start-up sized agency with roughly 10 employees, including two interns, the amount of attention and focus our agency is able to commit to interns has been amazing as far as constant supportive feedback from my supervisors. I feel as though this internship would not be possible for me if not for the Whitman Internship Grant, and in less than a full month working at Hero has already taught me an astronomical amount of how business structures operate on a daily in a competitive branding / marketing / advertising industry.

Experiences like Ben’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Victoria Wolff.