Please apply via email with your resume and cover letter.
Email application material to: Mariela.email@example.com
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until Sept. 9th
Community Fellows—students in their Junior or Senior Year—must be ELIGIBLE to work in the U.S. and ABLE to work the ENTIRE 2018-19 ACADEMIC YEAR, September-May (except for College breaks).
This position is part of 2018-19 Whitman College Community Fellow Program. Students will receive an Educational Award from Whitman College. More information about the program here!
You can also find this position on Handshake here!
Name of Organization: Children’s Home Society of Washington – Walla Walla
Title of Fellow: Educator Assistant (in the Academic Fun Club)
Proposed Hours of Work per Week/Days of Week: Monday – Thursday 3-5:30 pm; 6-8 hours/week; total of 160 hours at organization plus 20 hours in weekly meetings at Whitman College for academic year.
Supervisor’s Name and Contact Info (email and phone): Mariela Rosas, Mariela.firstname.lastname@example.org, 509-529-2130 ex 8113 or 509-386-6472
Mission of organization: To develop healthy children, create strong families, build engaged communities, and speak and advocate for children.
Project Description: The Fellow will work in our Academic Fun Club (homework club), where the children come directly from school to our satellite site in the Valle Lindo Community. At this site the Fellow will work with students in groups by grade/literacy level and help the students to do their homework, complete their reading assignments, and when necessary offer one-on-one tutoring in the areas that students need assistance.
- Bilingual (helpful)
- Must have professional & social skills and the ability to manage 30-35 children.
- Have an authoritative personality.
- Interested in education, sociology etc.
- Have organizational skills
- Many interns come to work in our academic programs end up changing their careers and want to be teachers, discovering their desire to help youth reach their full academic potential.
- They will see working with children is the most rewarding career for anyone that has the passion to make a difference in a young person’s life. We are shaping brains, building character and preparing our future leaders.
- Professionally: They will finish the program with very high qualifications in ethics and responsibility, to work with children.
- They will learn about the importance of Non-Profit Organizations, their mission’s and vision’s, and what the attribute to the community.
- They will gain a greater sense of what obstacles that the Hispanic community face in society, and work with youth and parents to build the tools to overcome these obstacles.
- They will learn the true value of service.
- Be responsible to assist the parent helper employee that works in the program, to be sure all the children are receiving snacks, staff and volunteers are taking brakes, and the facility is kept clean.
- Be responsible to support and maintain the discipline of students.
- Facilitating the communication with parents, mentors and teachers.
- Working with small groups of students doing homework.
- Keeping records of the appropriate reading materials for the student that he/she will be working with.
- Responsible for safety in the classroom.
- Organize material in binders for students that might not have homework that day so they are still working and studying math and reading.
- Support program staff if Supervisor is absent.
- Organize the student’s homework and assigning mentors to work one-on-one with students.
- Students must be eligible to work in the U.S. (e.g. U.S. citizen or green card holder), must be available for the entire 2018-19 academic year, must be available on 9/21 from 4-5 p.m. and must be able to attend 20 meetings (20 hours/bi-weekly meetings) focused on professional development hosted by Whitman College (facilitated by Victoria Wolff, Assistant Director for Internship Programs, SEC).
- Commitment to completing a job.
- Interested in learning new things and growing.
- Must be available during Academic Fun Club hours of operation.
- Reliability is a must!