Community Health Intern Sarah Follett ‘20 Forges Connections with Walla Walla High School Students through The Health Center in Walla Walla, WA

Being a high school student is not something I can say I would want to do again. It was an important time in my life, and have fond memories, but I didn’t think I would find myself back in a high school when I came to Whitman. When going through recruitment as a first-year I was immediately drawn to Kappa Kappa Gamma because of their partnership with the Student Engagement Center and The Health Center. Their established internship position with The Health Center, a nonprofit organization that provides healthcare services to students at Walla Walla public schools, made me realize what amazing opportunities both the college and the Greek system have to offer.

I am currently half-way through my internship with The Health Center at Wa-Hi as the student engagement intern. The Health Center started at Lincoln almost ten years ago, however this is only its second year at Wa-Hi. Because of this, my role has been creating better awareness of The Health Center within both the students and staff at Wa-Hi.

In order to accomplish this, a few of my projects thus far have been creating “student-friendly” business cards, tabling in the commons during lunch, and most recently giving classroom presentations about what services are offered at The Health Center. Being able to engage directly with the students and staff through these presentations has been more rewarding than I ever would have imagined. I have done nearly 20 presentations in the last couple weeks which has already created more awareness.

For my work with the larger Whitman community I will be doing a session at Power and Privilege Symposium with former Health Center intern Sophia Webb on adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and trauma informed care in relation to The Health Center. I hope to educate the Whitman community on this topic to help advance the movement and general awareness of this issue.

I am looking forward to continuing my work with The Health Center next semester through more work with students. This includes working on more classroom presentations, working with student clubs and groups, and forging more connections with students. As I continue to build relationships with the Walla Walla community though The Health Center I am hopeful for the future of this position.