Elle Pollock ’20 serves as a Creative & Analytics Intern with a sustainable shoe brand in Nashville, Tennessee

Hello! My name is Elle Pollock, I’m a rising senior at Whitman College double majoring in Rhetoric and Film & Media. This summer I’ve had the privilege to work at Nisolo, a sustainable and ethical brand based in Nashville, Tennessee. I’ve always had an appreciation for fashion, but upon studying abroad in Milan and working for a high-end fashion company, I discovered that the cutthroat culture wasn’t for me. When I first heard of Nisolo, I immediately wanted to get involved.

Nisolo sells shoes and accessories with an emphasis on ethical and sustainable production. The majority of pieces are produced in our factory in Peru, where each factory worker receives beyond fair trade wages, healthcare, and a healthy working environment. Our Impact Associate works with companies like Ecosphere+ and Souls4Soles to help offset our carbon emissions and encourage the upcycling of old clothing. In addition, leather is sourced as a byproduct of the meat industry. Of course, there is always room for improvement, and I’ve learned through Nisolo that self-evaluation is crucial for growth. The careful approach and thoughtful consideration to each facet of every detail of all decisions made at Nisolo has made me incredibly proud to have worked with such wonderful people; I’ve seen the rewards for such a dedicated and considerate work ethic and understand why Nisolo is considered one of the leading brands in ethical and sustainable production in its industry.

During my time at Nisolo, I held the title Creative & Analytics Intern. I was responsible for creating photo, graphic, video, gif, and infographic assets for email, social, web, and other platforms. I analyzed current social media trends and customer survey responses, and with this feedback provided insight as to how we can improve our internal marketing and customer satisfaction. Although I was responsible for many fun creative projects, for my largest task I compiled footage from a trip to Cordillera Azul National Park in the Peruvian Amazon, highlighting our partner program with Ecosphere+ in which we dedicate proceeds towards both tree conservation in the Amazon as well as the indigenous communities residing within. The project helped strengthen my film-making and editing skills (specifically my technical capabilities and visual communicative concepts). I am really proud of my work, and I’m grateful to Nisolo for being so trusting and enabling me to complete some fun and engaging creative assets. This internship perfectly combined my interests of creative content, internal marketing, fashion, and sustainability. It served as a perfect opportunity for me to explore sustainability within the fashion industry, and I couldn’t be more happy with my experience!

Experiences like Elle Pollock’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez

,