Darby Williams ’20, Researches and Plans a Marketing Plan for Blue Mountain Land Trust in Walla Walla, WA.

My name is Darby Williams and I am a senior Environmental Humanities major with a Religion minor. This year, I have been interning with Blue Mountain Land Trust as their marketing and communications intern. 

Blue Mountain Land Trust is a local not-for-profit organization that is focused on environmental education, recreation, and conservation in the Blue Mountain region. These goals take various forms such as the creation and maintenance of conservation easements on both agricultural and wild lands, education programs targeted toward both children and adults, and trail building and maintenance projects. The service of the Land Trust has recently expanded and extends well beyond Walla Walla and the vision of the Land Trust is constantly striving to reflect the values, needs, and desires of the communities that it serves. 

This internship entails various responsibilities such as: going to committee meetings, designing posters and flyers, creating a style guide for future interns, and maintaining our social media presence. I am also helping them to create and implement a new marking plan which is a daunting but exciting challenge! I have done a lot of research for the new plan since I have never created a marketing plan before and the Land Trust has never had one. With this research, I have been using creative problem solving and critical thinking skills to determine how to best develop a plan that can begin functioning relatively seamlessly within the organization.  

This semester especially, I have had the opportunity to develop my skills with various Adobe applications such as Premiere and InDesign. These skills will be really helpful if I hope to find future employment that requires knowledge about marketing or design. I have developed my eye for design and the writing skills necessary for communicating complex ideas in fewer words. I have also learned a lot about how non-profit organizations work and are organized through organizational meetings I have had the opportunity to be a part of. I feel so grateful to have had the opportunities that the Student Engagement Center has allowed through the internship grant and that the Land Trust have made possible. 

As I prepare to graduate and enter the workforce, I know that the experiences I have had, and the skills I have developed at Blue Mountain Land Trust have given me the confidence to navigate professional spaces and the skills necessary to apply what I have learned in classes to a job in the environmental sector. 

Experiences like Darby’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez

,