Jordan Bluett ’23, Navigates Shifting Responsibilities, Schedules, and Circumstances at His Internship for Visit Walla Walla in Walla Walla, WA.

It is probably an understatement that a lot has happened since I made my first post last semester. It seems so long ago, given the current pandemic going on. 

Going back about 4 months, I had just returned form my winter break back home in Alaska, and I met a coworker at the airport to take me back to the dorms, who informed me that my boss had left the company and we currently had an interim CEO of the company until the end of February. It was the first major adaptation I had to make in the second half of my internship. And in a way that sets the theme for this semester of college as a whole: adapting to an ever-shifting circumstance. 

Life back at the office was much of the same to start with, and I finally got a meeting lined up with a research expert who guided me on a different path on my main research project. It was a challenging yet thoughtful moment, and it was nice to make some progress. Shortly after that meeting and building a draft of a survey for understanding how the public would want Walla Walla to develop as a tourist destination, the interim CEO and our design person left the company. Suddenly I had to make a new adaptation with the means to complete both my initial projects now more or less out of my reach. 

By March, I had gone from a marketing intern to simply an intern. And I was fine with that. At that point, my job around the office was a lot more day to day and directly impactful to the company, helping with moving inventory, data entry, and other things. I was also going to be trained in the company’s Facebook page and event finding tasks. However, due to quarantine following the COVID-19 outbreak, I was forced to work from home. (The photo is of my new home office!)

Stepping back to the present day, I’m now spending the remaining time of my internship combing through the company’s business data and making sure it lines up with what’s displayed on the company website. This is something I can easily do remotely in between my school work and recreation. 

I think what I’ve really learned from this entire internship is how to navigate shifting responsibilities, schedules, and circumstances. Visit Walla Walla gave me a very dynamic and shifting internship, starting as a task to answer marketing questions that the CEO wanted answered, then shifting to my responsibilities becoming more integrated with the daily goings on of the office space and company as a whole. From a big set of projects to shorter and more immediate projects, I was, in a sense, kept me on my toes. At the end of the day, it’s a journey I’ve really come to enjoy and appreciate every step of the way, and I’m grateful to have been given the opportunity to not only be their intern, but to receive the WIG on top of all that and get closer to Whitman and Walla Walla in my first year of College. 

Experiences like Jordan’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez

,