Salma Anguiano ’22, Applies Her Political Theory Content from Classes at Whitman at Her Internship at Hernandez Immigration Law, in Walla Walla, WA.

My name is Salma Anguiano and I am a sophomore at Whitman College. Here at Whitman I’m currently majoring in Politics and doing a minor in Chinese Language. This semester I have been interning at Hernandez Immigration Law. 

Hernandez Immigration Law is located in Walla Walla, WA and they focus on all types of immigration cases. This can range anywhere from asylum cases, U-visas, fiancée and spousal visas as well as DACA. Through my time at Hernandez Immigration Law, I’ve learned the various types of cases and all the work and documentation that goes into each case. Although my time was cut short in the office due to COVID-19, I’m still continuing to learn from home.

I’m really grateful I’ve had the opportunity to intern here, because it has allowed me to connect a lot of the work done in my classes with the real world. Being a politics major at Whitman, we often spend a lot of time learning about political theory, and so this is an opportunity for me to make connections to these theories using real-world issues. I definitely feel like my views on immigration and possible solutions to the various issues connected to this topic, continue to be challenged. 

Working in a law office has been a great experience, and I have a better understanding of all the work that goes into these cases. Although I have been doing a lot of clerical work, I’ve also taken the time to ask questions to learn more on my own. The clerical work is not always interesting but it’s still important to a clients case. This clerical work ranges from documents needing to be translating, communicating with the clients, to organizing files. 

I definitely miss the office environment. I enjoyed working with many incredible people that are passionate about immigration law, and having important discussions on this topic. However, I also really enjoy working from home. I’m a very introverted person so this new setting is very enjoyable, but I hope to get out soon and enjoy the beautiful weather. 

I recommend everyone to apply for an internship, it’s a good way to explore career interests and engage with the community. 

Experiences like Salma’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez

,