Maggie Weeks ’22, Creates Witness Prep Sheets at Walla Walla Prosecuting Attorney in Walla Walla, WA.

An Inside Look at a Law Intern 

I have wanted to become a lawyer for as long as I have been immersed in a classroom setting. I have always been interested in mysteries, and the process that goes along with solving mysteries. Even more so, I have always been interested in giving justice to people who deserve it. I feel that this is my ultimate goal, and I’ve always known that being a lawyer would be the perfect avenue to go down. Of course, I am also intrigued by the cryptic and curious world of law that is displayed on procedural TV shows, and I’ve read a Grisham book or two which enhanced my interests. But really, the true reason why I want to become a lawyer is because I believe people who do the wrong thing should be held accountable, and people who deserve justice get it. When I was interviewed by Michelle Morales, the prosecuting attorney I am working closely with, she asked me why I was interested in the prosecution side of law, and I told her it was because I believed heavily in aiding and giving people justice. 

This internship has been an incredible learning opportunity in so many ways, and thankfully, it was an opportunity that opened my eyes to wanting to do more with law and justice. While I’ve believed that I wanted to be a lawyer my whole life, I was nervous that this internship would make me see that I don’t truly want to follow that career choice. I thought to myself when I was given the position, “What if I hate it? What if it makes me not want to become a lawyer?” But quite the opposite was true. This internship has absolutely solidified my interest in law and makes me so excited every day that I get to have such an incredible opportunity. I am grateful that this internship has allowed me to explore such a fascinating field, and I am even more grateful that it has made me think, “You know what? I really do want to be a lawyer!” 

While this global pandemic runs rampant in today’s world, I have found it a bit hard to focus on schoolwork and extracurriculars during quarantine. However, everyday, I work for an hour to two hours on internship work, creating witness prep sheets, which are documents that list every item in the case file that a particular witness is associated with. I also have all of the documents related to the case, so that I have a better understanding of exactly how to organize the documents, as well as giving me a bit of familiarity with what the documents look like, and what they mean. While the case is interesting, it is also extremely heavy, which makes me grateful for the lawyers that work with cases like this all the time.

Experiences like Maggie’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez

,