Annie Means ’20 serves as production assistant and summer intern at Hullaballoo in Seattle, WA

“My name is Annie Means, and I’m a rising junior majoring in Environmental Humanities. This summer I’ve had the amazing opportunity to work as an intern with the Seattle based video production company, Hullabaloo. Though my major may not appear to align directly with my internship at Hullabaloo, the film industry has long been an interest of mine. This past year, I worked as a videographer for Whitman’s student-run publication, The Wire, and ever since I have been eager to dive deeper into the video production field.

While COVID-19 has shifted my internship to a more remote form of learning, I am still learning and an immense amount about how video production companies operate. Amongst many other things, my first two months as an intern at Hullabaloo have exposed me to how video production companies work with clients to assemble a finished product. I was surprised to learn how much collaboration ensues between the director, producer, and the client when creating shot lists, scripts, shoot schedules, and rough cuts. There is a near-constant discussion between Hullabloo employees and their clients about tweaks to be made to videos or interesting tidbits that can be incorporated into the final product. As a young videographer, that open communication has been very gratifying to see and learn from.

Because I have been unable to work out of the company’s office due to pandemic guidelines, every Monday I attend a Zoom call where I am assigned my workload for the week. My weekly tasks can range from video editing to assisting in graphics creation to acting as a production assistant on set. Already, I have become far more confident in my video editing skills, and have learned the ins and outs of what it means to be an effective and efficient production assistant.

One of my favorite parts of this internship has been being able to attend a socially distanced film set and learn what a professional video shoot looks like. I assisted with lighting set up and break down, set design, slating, and got to see the filming process from start to finish. I am really enjoying this internship and am feeling that I am gaining incredibly valuable hard skills and soft skills in this industry. I’ll be looking forward to working here throughout the rest of the summer.”

Experiences like Annie Means’ are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez

,