Libby Hunt ’21, Helps Set Up a Volunteer Program with Social Media Strategies for the Fall at Walla Walla Music Organization.

Hey there, my name is Libby Hunt and I am a senior Film and Media Studies Major working for the Walla Walla Music Organization this summer. This organization works to provide youth in Walla Walla with music education including music technology and production skills. Producing anything from podcasts to songs, these students are able to engage their creative and technical skills with the aid of Walla Walla Music Organization. 

Rodney Outlaw, the founder of WWMO, is a Walla Walla resident who has much experience with production and has such a big passion for music and sharing his knowledge with his community. In founding the Walla Walla Music Organization, he has created an accessible, niche artistic environment in Walla Walla that many public schools in the area lack. Although there is a price tag on classes with the WWMO, Mr. Outlaw goes above and beyond to make sure that no student is left behind. 

Due to the pandemic, I have been working from my home in Walla Walla. I have been helping Mr. Outlaw set up a volunteer program for the fall in addition to helping with other small projects. Such projects include, brainstorming and implementing social media strategies that will allow for the organization to gain more public attention and helping with design for future projects. Below is an intro design I made for the Weekend Workshop videos that WWMO will be producing in the fall. These videos will feature Mr. Outlaw and an honorary guest that will be giving tips related to music and production. They will be accessible to all! 

As a Film and Media Studies student, this internship has been perfect for me! I have been able to dip my toe into marketing and assist in creative endeavors. I really admire the organization’s goals and purpose so I feel excited to work with WWMO. Mr. Outlaw recently created a song and music video that speaks to the BLM movement which is worth checking out on the organization’s facebook page. 

Because I have been working from home, I found it challenging to find a picture of me in the workplace. But ultimately this internship is centered around music and I (especially over quarantine) feel elated when I am playing the guitar. So I included a picture of me jamming. Hope you enjoy and check out WWMO on whichever social media platform you prefer (including tik tok)! 

Experiences like Libby’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Mitzy Rodriguez