09.09.2018

Well here I am, five weeks in and loving Munich more than I have loved any other city in the world! I live next to a park bigger than Central Park, I can ride my bike to school everyday, take a dip in the river that runs right through the city, hop on a train to the Alps for a day, visit a castle or two, or head to an FC Bayern match. Plainly said, there is NEVER a dull moment here in Munich!

While the Year of Study in Munich program just started last week, I arrived over a month ago to take an intensive German course at Ludwig Maximilians Universität to better prepare for my year here. I got to know students from from all over the world who share my passion for German language. This was SOOO much fun and an incredibly rewarding experience that has helped me tremendously in adapting to my new life in Munich.

Now the real thing has started and I am hitting the books along with 11 other students from Whitman, University of Puget Sound, and Lewis & Clark College. The Semester doesn’t start until the middle of October but since all of the courses will be in German, we are doing a pre-semester of only German language and culture courses.

These five weeks have flown by, however I still get overwhelmed sometimes by the fact that I will be here for an entire year. When I’m all settled in and have a routine going, will Munich not seem so exciting? Maybe I’ll get homesick? Undoubtedly, I’m going hit a face a few obstacles. That just happens when you go from living in a rural area to living in a city of 1.4 million. Already, I have taken the U-bahn (subway) in the wrong direction, locked myself out of my room, and gotten stared at as I jaywalked across an empty street (I later found out that this is very taboo and can result in a 60€ fine…whoops). But WOW do you learn fast! It also helps that my program staff are incredibly resourceful and supportive and my hall-mates so welcoming.

Anyways, I am super excited to improve my German, meet some locals, and soak up some bavarian culture!

Schloss Neuschwanstein