Terence Mahlatini, Intern at Uncommon as a Software Developer

Terence Mahlatini, Junior Computer Science major, shares about their time as an intern at Uncommon as a software developer.

“Hi there! I’m Terence Mahlatini, a rising junior majoring in Computer Science. This summer, I had the incredible opportunity to intern at Uncommon as a software developer. Uncommon is a non-profit edTech organization dedicated to making the field of Tech accessible to low-income communities. Their two main programs include a Youth Coding Bootcamp and Scratch lessons for primary school students.

Working at Uncommon has been an incredibly fulfilling experience for me. It allowed me to apply my classroom knowledge and gain exposure to various technologies and applications beyond what a typical classroom setting offers. Most importantly, I had the privilege of contributing to projects that have a significant impact on students from low-income backgrounds.

My daily routine at Uncommon began at 8:30 AM and ended at 4 PM. Each day, I allocated the first 30 minutes to read emails and plan out my tasks for the day. At noon, I would have lunch with my colleagues, getting to know everyone on the team. My afternoons were dedicated to work too, but on Wednesdays, I had department meetings at 3:30 PM, where I reported on my progress and discussed any challenges I faced during the week.

Thursdays were particularly special to me because I had the opportunity to visit the innovation hubs and interact with students in the coding bootcamp. Additionally, I actively participated in their weekly Scratch lessons for primary school students. Witnessing the enthusiasm of third, fourth, and fifth graders as they engaged with the lessons was truly inspiring.

My assigned project involved building a WhatsApp chatbot designed to assist local teachers in learning how to use Scratch. Scratch is a visual programming language primarily aimed at children. The goal of this chatbot is to provide teachers with a readily accessible resource to learn programming concepts and effectively convey them to their students. In my home country, Zimbabwe, pursuing a career in Tech or programming, in general, is not a popular choice, mainly due to the inaccessibility of the field. Many people cannot afford internet access, let alone a laptop. Therefore, the chatbot serves as an effort to break down these barriers. By hosting it on WhatsApp, we ensure easy access, as most people use the platform daily. Additionally, thanks to Uncommon’s initiative in providing laptops to students from partnering schools, the students can learn programming effectively. Contributing to this project felt incredibly meaningful, as it aimed to inspire creativity and provide new opportunities for low-income students.

My experience at Uncommon was nothing short of exceptional. Having studied abroad for four years now, I am immensely grateful for the Whitman Internship Grant, which made it possible for me to return home, gain valuable professional experience, and give back to the community. After I complete my education in the USA, my intention is to return to my home country, and this internship has already set the foundation for building a strong professional network that will ease my transition back.”