Houla Chorfi, Intern in Tusisia working with LGBTQ+ History Research

Houla Chorfi, Junior Sociology and Gender Studies major, shares about their internship exploring LGBTQ+ history

“Hi! My name is Houla Chorfi, and I’m an international student from Tunisia. I’m a rising junior, double majoring in Sociology and Gender Studies. My internship involves a research project that delves into the history of the LGBTQ+ movement in Tunisia and explores the perceived impacts of the 2010-11 revolution on the queer movement. This project originated from a thought-provoking sociology class I took during my freshman year about Social Movements in the Middle East and North Africa. This summer, I have been actively engaged in recruitment and conducting interviews with participants in Tunis. The goal of conducting this process in person was to hopefully be able to reach as many potential participants as possible. Hence, one of my recruitment strategies involved immersing myself in the queer movement, building connections, and interning with organizations that advocate for LGBTQ+ issues in the country, assisting them with day-to-day logistics.

This research project carries immense significance for both my academic journey and career aspirations. It has provided me with invaluable hands-on experience in the world of research, allowing me to apply the knowledge and skills acquired in my sociology classes, such as the research methods class. The practical application of theoretical frameworks learned in courses like Social Movements and Social Change has been illuminating, enhancing the depth of my investigation. As I delved into the complexities of the LGBTQ+ movement in Tunisia, I found myself drawing upon these concepts to inform and enrich my study.

However, this project has come with challenges as well, whether that is logistical or methodological. These hurdles have taught me about the importance of maintaining an open mind when problem-solving. I have learned to be creative, adaptable, and resilient in navigating the unpredictable nature of research. Embracing the non-linear nature of the process has been an invaluable lesson, shaping my perspective on how to approach and tackle complex issues.

This project strongly relates to my career aspirations. After Whitman, I hope to pursue graduate school and remain in academia and continue to do research. This project marks my first significant step towards realizing that goal, providing me with a taste of what conducting long-term research entails. In addition, being part of the upcoming Routledge Handbook on LGBTQI+ in West Asia and North Africa (WANA) as a featured chapter is not only an incredible opportunity for me, but also offers a glimpse into the academic publishing process.

This experience has taught me so much, and I’m very grateful that I get to conduct research independently and learn so much throughout the process that I would not have even thought about from a purely theoretical perspective. I’m very thankful for the Whitman Internship Grant for making this possible and allowing me to enrich my academic experience.”