Meeting Walla Walla: My Home-Away-From-Home

By Marian Sandoval Lemus

Students in dance group.

As someone who considers herself very social, moving to a completely new country where I did not know anyone was terrifying! I’m an international student from Guatemala. Since I am so far away from home, I wanted to make sure I felt like I belonged at Whitman and in Walla Walla—especially since it was about to become my home for the next four years.

When I first arrived, I was feeling like an outsider so I told myself it was important to put myself out there and explore the community with an open mind and make meaningful connections. I recommend you do this too! Here is what I did to meet people in the community and make Walla Walla my new home-away-from-home!

1. Attend community events. There are just so many—plus most are within walking distance from campus! My favorite community event is the Walla Walla Summer Concert Series where the entire city comes together to dance the night away at the heart of downtown.
  2. Engage, support, and work with our local organizations! It is important that Whitties give back to the community and the Career and Community Engagement Center connects us with different volunteer or intern opportunities that support the Walla Walla Valley. Since my first year, I have collaborated with the Walla Walla Immigrant Rights Coalition to support marginalized communities in the valley.
  3. Find people whose stories you can relate to & connect over culture and food. The Latinx community has made me feel at home in Walla Walla! Attending different cultural festivals and establishing conversations about our culture and lived experiences in Walla Walla have been key to feeling part of the community.  During Hispanic Heritage Month, I attended the Festival de Cultural Viva in downtown Walla Walla. The celebration included art, food, and a 2-hour outdoor concert with mariachis, Puerto Rican rap, and a Panamanian Salsa ensemble. I, along with other Whitties, were invited to wave our flags in the parade on Main Street!

Students with flags in a parade.

1. Participate in Whitman-sponsored community events. These are Whitman events and programs that are open to the public. A good one to get involved is the Friendship Family Program. It has allowed me to find my Walla Walla family and explore the surrounding areas.

Students outside at the amphitheater.

Marian Sandoval Lemus ’23 (she/her) is from Esquipulas, Guatemala, and is majoring in Sociology and minoring in History. At 11 years-old, Marian learned how to play the marimba, Guatemala’s national instrument!

Share

Recent Wisdom