Home

October 10, 2014

I think I am truly settled in London. I feel comfortable here. I get on the tube or bus without a map or a phone with a GPS. Sure, I have to look at the maps around the city or ask for directions, but with my navigating skills, I will always have to do that. But the final sign that I am at home here is the fact that I haven’t done as much touring around as I should have.

Having lived in the Washington DC area my entire life, I have noticed a strange phenomenon that is at least applicable to my family. People travel from great distances, spending lots of money to get to DC and see the sights. I am lucky. All I have to do is hop on the Metro to get to those same places. And yet, because I live there, I don’t go and see as many landmarks as others. Recently, I haven’t gone and wandered around London, which I should be doing. So you see, it’s really like home.

I have to say that I feel like I’ve been constantly going for so long that all I want to do is sleep. So it’s not that I haven’t been doing things (I went to Dublin last weekend and midterms are coming up), it’s just that I haven’t really explored where I am as much as I should.

Sometime soon, I am going to take the advice many people have given me. I am going to hop on a random bus and ride until I stumble upon an interesting area. Then I’ll get off and walk around and see what that area of London has to offer.

Today, I went and truly explored Borough Market, unlike the last time I was there. It was wonderful. Each stall is appealing and much less repetitive than some markets, like Camden Market. Though Camden is good for other things. Simply walking around to see all the displays of fruits and vegetables is a treat. The layouts are works of art. If only I had brought my camera! I think it would be impossible to walk through without purchasing anything. Of course, once you sample the cheese you are done for. It’s all so good. Plus, they sell everything from pumpkins to sangria. You could probably find a more reasonably priced market, but Borough is too fun (and it’s right next to the London Bridge Tube Station).

Next week, my uncle (a Whitman graduate) is coming to visit. I can’t wait to explore more of London with him! I think sometimes you just need another person to explore with (and to motivate you to go, even if it’s raining).

Even though I didn’t really talk about it, I thought I should share a picture from Dublin. It’s a beautiful city.