Amazing School Trip & Florence Disability Center

I want to start off on a good note because I got to go on my first trip through Syracuse this weekend. It took us to the Tuscan Coast to visit Baratti and Populonia. It was my first time seeing the warmly sparkling Mediterranean Sea, and surprisingly the sand sparkled too because of the blue iron deposits! The trip was pleasantly structured so that the time slots compensated perfectly to not miss out on anything. We started the day with a guided tour of an active archeology dig which was uncovering the tombs of the Etruscans who built a civilization off mining iron on the coast of Tuscany. Then we had free time to go swimming at the beach and find lunch. In the afternoon we made our final stop in Bolgheri. The school bought us local gelato and set us free to explore the quaint town, that resides just an hour out from Florence. It was full of unique little shops and restaurants that served some of the most popular wines of the region. I highly recommend going if you get the chance. The trip was a great experience, and I can’t emphasize enough to sign up for the provided trips if you’re going to the Syracuse Florence center.

On a different note, I believe support for people with disabilities is important to talk about in relation to the Florence center. The main point of contact for disability accommodations at the Florence center requested to meet with me. (To add some personal information, I was recently diagnosed with dyslexia, and asking for accommodation can still be quite scary). I want to inform my readers that during a meeting to confirm my accommodation that semester, there was a strong lack of privacy. The room had an open plan design, so there were three other employees in the room and the disability advisor left the door open to a busy hallway of fellow students. I can only speak for myself, but I found this uncomfortable, and I wish I knew going into it that there wasn’t going to be the level of discretion Whitman provides. Furthermore, this could be a cultural difference, during our conversation they explained that the professors at the center are great because normally Italian school students don’t get these sorts of accommodations so it’s impressive that they are so accommodating to students who come from the states. This is a nice sentiment in one light, but I couldn’t help getting the impression I was supposed to feel grateful for my necessary accommodations. I felt affronted by a comparative look at the Italian vs. the U.S. education system. In the end, I still feel uneasy about the interaction but I’m challenging myself to be more curious if it comes from cultural stigma about disabilities or if disabilities don’t require accommodations due to a well-designed education system.

Until next time,

Rebecca