Wilkommen in Freiburg!

Hallo! My name is Andrew Casterella and I am studying in Freiburg, Germany for the Spring semester with the European Union program. The first 13 days that I have spent in the country have been jam-packed with information and activities. For our first week in the program, we spent most of our time in an orientation similar to that which we had at Whitman. We went over our academics, travel, transportation, and housing. IES also spent a lot of time introducing us to the city of Freiburg and the Baden-Wurttemburg Region. Last week, for example, we had the privilege of attending a Historical City tour of Freiburg, learning the background of structures around the city.

During the tour, we visited two of the city’s historical gate entrances, clock towers inscribed with images of medieval saints, and characters from folk tales. When the City of Freiburg was first built in the Medieval era, it was surrounded by walls to protect the city from invaders. Although the wall itself no longer exists, the Freiburgers have preserved the historical entrances into the city, one example of many beautiful pieces of architecture in Freiburg.

In the center of the city, we also visited the Münsterplatz, a city square which is the location of the largest Cathedral in Freiburg- the Munster. The Church is an incredibly imposing sight, with an incredibly complex Gothic Tower that is the highest point in the city. The Church itself began construction in roughly 1200 and took over 500 years to build. It is the founding site of the City of Freiburg. It is constructed with beautiful red stone and is surrounded with gargoyles and statues of saints, as well as a massive clock on the tower.

In the Platz (surrounding square). There is a Bauernmarkt (farmers market) with stands every day apart from Sunday. Here, you can get the Freiburger Lange Rote at one of several stands, a local sausage like bratwurst which is served in a baguette with onions. I have to stop myself from walking there every day at lunch to get the Lange Rote. Moreover, you can buy Schwarzwaldschink– genuine black forest ham which is brought in from the famous woods. It is probably the best ham I ham I have ever had in my life, tasting like a mix between smoked salmon and prosciutto. Moreover, you can buy chesses and wine from Neighboring Switzerland and France.

Overall, Freiburg is a beautiful and historically rich city with many pieces of culture to offer. I am incredibly excited to be studying here and  More info will follow!

-Andrew