Sarah Follett ’21 Builds Connections Between Wa-Hi and Whitman with the Health Center in Walla Walla, WA

This semester at The Health Center I will be expanding on the student engagement work that I began last semester. This includes projects such as working with different student-run clubs, planning an open-house for Wa-Hi students and staff, and helping to further merge The Health Center with Wa-Hi.

One of the best parts of my job is getting to work with the staff at our Wa-Hi site! A project I just completed was redesigning the entry board at our location. We are constantly aiming to make our office more welcoming for students and this is a simple way to do that. Something I have found fun at Whitman is the interactive posters often displayed in residence halls. I thought putting a spin on this idea would allow Wa-Hi students to have a positive interaction as soon as they come into our office.

Our new board asks students to write a wish they have for the new year to foster goal setting and positive thinking.

At Whitman, I will be running a Power and Privilege session with former Health Center intern Sophia Webb on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and trauma-informed care. This is a subject that many Whitman students are unaware of, however, the Walla Walla Community Resilience Initiative is aiming to better help community members who have suffered from ACEs. This is very related to the work that The Health Center does, which is to provide students with healthcare services in order to help them be more successful. I am very excited to bring this knowledge to Whitman so that this initiative can be brought into the Whitman community.

I am lucky enough to have my own office which is where I work on various projects and have phone calls and meetings.

I am so excited to be at The Health Center again this semester and continue working with this great organization. Continuing to build relationships within the Whitman and Walla Walla communities is extremely important and I hope to maintain this relationship with The Health Center during my time at Whitman.