Daphne Gallegos ’19 Continues Work on Student Board to the YWCA and Completes Training for Client Interaction in Walla Walla, WA

Hello to all again! My name is still Daphne, I am still a senior biology and French double major with a concentration in global studies and I am still having a blast joining the incredibly empowering crew of women at the YWCA of Walla Walla in the awesome work they do! Last time, I updated you all about the work I have been doing with regards to wrangling up some college students to create a board of students from the three institutions of higher education to report to the board of directors for the YWCA. This is slow but steady work! I spent most of time with this project looking into skeletons of structures from similar models across the country. I have learned SO much about all of the careful attention to details and planning that go into creating new programs and groups at a non-profit. It really is not as easy as just doing it. When I applied to the fellowship, I asked myself, how am I going to take all year to do this???? Now, I totally get it! These things do not happen over night and there are so many parts and pieces that are moving in different directions and at different speeds. It is not just about our schedules, but the schedules of students (which are arguably the most difficult) and how they align with each other…. Which also if you have ever had to organize a time where a group of students have to meet to work on a group project… you know that is not easy. Creating a group with students from different schools also means it is not a one size fits all situation. Furthermore, non-profits really try to make sure that the foundation they lay for new programs is a strong one because not strong foundations end up being scrapped, they aren’t sustainable and it reflects poorly on the organization. Anything done hastily will not yield the results that can lead to a long-lasting program! The YWCA does such a great job about thinking of the future of the organization.

I chose the picture above for two reasons. When I work, I am in the women’s shelter so there are no pictures allowed there. Second, the YWCA is one of the most mission driven organizations I have ever encountered. Everything they do is most definitely meant to uphold their values and mission as an organization. When I am not working on the project, I am assisting with the everyday hectic-ness of the other programs the YWCA offers. Because I went through CORE advocacy training (a mandatory training in the state of WA to have client interaction in the realm of domestic violence and sexual assault), I am able to interact with clients, allowing me to better understand the services offered by the YWCA. The amount of people that the organization touches and positively impacts is astounding to say the least. Working with clients in the shelter for example has allowed me to examine the variety of circumstances and complexity behind domestic and intimate partner violence, something that can affect all genders from all walks of life- including college students. I hope I can use this as fuel to continue constructing a strong board of students to represent the needs of the students! 🙂

Experiences like Daphne’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at both for-profit and non-profit organizations. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, click here or contact Assistant Director for Internship Programs Victoria Wolff