Nomonde Nyathi shares more about the Buddy Program

I joined the Buddy Program during my first year of college in order to find friends and get to know a group of people outside of the Whitman College bubble. The Buddy Program appealed to me as it was a volunteer program that reminded me of the community I once grew up in. Whilst living in Ethiopia, I would sometimes volunteer at the Cheshire Rehabilitation Center that worked with children with disabilities. Being around these communities only broadened my perspective on the lives around me. This also motivated me to want to continue being a part of such communities even after leaving the country.

The Buddy Program provides a safe space for not only Whitman students who are trying to escape the rigorous academic bubble they are in, but also for the community buddies. It brings two groups of people who may not necessarily be placed in the same situations daily and allows them to get to know each other better by learning and teaching each other about their daily escapades.

The Buddy Program provides a variety of activities in order to keep its members entertained which range from pot painting to cookie decorating to a winter ball. Being a part of these activities only made me want to be more involved and help with creating the experience for more students at Whitman College.

Applying for the leadership position and getting it, I was not too aware of the fact that we would not be able to interact with the buddies in person but that did not make the experience any less enjoyable. Trying to find ways to interact virtually was harder than expected because I felt as if I was unable to personally connect with each of the buddies. But this also taught us to find ways to keep all the buddies entertained and somewhat still get to interact with each other to build strong connections.

With that said, the Buddy Program continues to provide a space for communities in Walla Walla and Whitman students. Hopefully, soon we will all be able to experience the cheerful Buddy community spirit in person.