Claire Podoll ’23 Looks at the Complexities of Workplace Discrimination and Immigration at Michael Jacobson Law in Seattle, WA

Claire on the phone at work

Hi! My name is Claire Podoll and I am a rising senior environmental studies and politics and economics double major at Whitman College. Before this summer, I had an inkling that I was interested in practicing law, but I did not fully understand what being in this field would be like. Interning for Michael Jacobson this summer gave me the opportunity to not only immerse myself in legal processes but opened my eyes to the realities of workplace discrimination and the complexities of immigration. Michael Jacobson Law is an immigration and employment firm located in downtown Seattle where I am spending my summer working.

Michael Jacobson represents clients who wish to immigrate to the United States along with individuals who have faced discrimination or other illegal treatment in the workplace. As his legal assistant, I talk to potential new clients to assess their situation and determine if a legal case can be made in favor of their claims. Over the course of this summer I have learned about many of the laws in place in the United States and Washington state that protect workers in their place of employment. Clients I work with have claims ranging from wrongful termination, sex, race or disability discrimination, and much more. I also assist with immigration cases, helping individuals to obtain visas based upon their eligibility through family, work, and investment. I value the personal connections I am able to form with clients because of the time I spend speaking with them over the phone, in person, or by email.

I have also learned many new skills relating to online filing, completing legal forms, accessing archives, writing motions, and much more. Just two months ago, when I started this internship, I had almost no knowledge of the actual logistics of these types of legal cases. Now, I can confidently assess clients’ claims, draft legal documents, and gather and compile documents to file for a visa or citizenship. My communication skills have grown immensely as I have had countless conversations with individuals in distressing situations from a multitude of backgrounds and places. This internship has been difficult, fascinating and so rewarding. After this experience, I feel confident going into my senior year at Whitman. I feel prepared to begin to construct my plans for after graduation and am excited to use the career experience I have gained to find new opportunities that further my education and career aspirations.

Experiences like Claire’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at nonprofit, some for-profit, and government organizations. We are happy to be sharing blog posts from students who were supported by either a summer, fall, spring, or year-long grants at organizations, businesses, and research labs all around the world. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, contact us at ccec_info@whitman.edu.