Dante Morelli ’24 Interns at the Development Services Department of the City of Walla Walla, WA

My name is Dante Morelli, and this past spring, I have been an intern at theDevelopment Services Department of the City of Walla Walla. I am a Junior Economics major,with minors in Biology and Chemistry, and I plan to study urban planning and design in thefuture! For this blog post, I would like to take you through my typical day of work at thedepartment.
Because Walla Walla is relatively small, I usually ride my bike to the office, about 1.1miles from campus. Due to the WIG hours requirements, I only come into the office onThursdays, where I work a standard 8-5 workday. I usually arrive 5 minutes before 8:00 am so that I can prepare my desk for the day. Once settled, I work my way around the office and talk to the planners, picking up tasks and getting the scoop on all the projects that need to be worked on during the day. This usually takes me ten to thirty minutes, depending on the complexity and amount of the tasks. At noon, I take an hour for lunch, usually biking home or around downtown, if I want to eat out.
At 1:30 on Thursdays, the department has its staff meeting, where the permits for theweek are reviewed and work is kept on track. These meetings are often some of the moreinteresting moments of the day, as much of the coordination between the planning, engineering and the fire departments happens here. After the meeting, I continue my work to finish up the day at 5:00pm.

The projects that I have worked on vary to include almost all of the responsibilities of theplanning department. My bread and butter projects tend to be drafting notices of applicationletters to inform the public about potential changes to zoning, building demolitions andrenovations, and other such municipal changes. However, these are just some of the manythings that I do throughout the day. Oftentimes, I will research the historical records of buildingsto review applications for renovation or changes to buildings which are on the local historicalregister. These are some of my favorite projects, as I get to learn more about the history ofWalla Walla – apparently, the Washington state constitution was drafted in the Renolds-Daybuilding downtown. Finally, I also help the planners to review land use of certain areas of WallaWalla, making sure that the use of the land and the zoning of those parcels is consistent. In arelatively modern approach, the City has been enacting more micro zoning policies. Microzoning is a more nuanced approach to euclidean zoning that takes a smaller, more use basedapproach rather than broad, sweeping zoning decisions which potentially negatively affect theresidents inhabiting or using the land.

Overall, my time at the City of Walla Walla has been an excellent experience, and Icouldn’t have had this opportunity without the WIG. Being in this office has given meperspective on what I do (and don’t) like about planning, working in government, and localadministration! I feel that I have grown over the past few months, both in professionalexperience and in my own personal goals. It’s been a great time being able to serve the peopleof Walla Walla, and I’m grateful to have been able to forge the connections I’ve made here atthe department.
This summer, I will be continuing my work at the City of Walla Walla, as I have obtaineda second round of WIG funding for this internship!