Naiyah Love ’24 Increases Engagement on STEAM Among the Local Youth Community With Great Explorations in Walla Walla, WA

Great Explorations is an organization that was created by the Walla Walla American Association of University Women with the support of Whitman College and Walla Walla Public Schools. Their focus is to encourage science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) engagement with Walla Walla local youth community through curiosity, enthusiasm, and confidence. Great Explorations has historically held workshops bi-annually at Whitman College and aims to make STEAM accessible and impactful to all children, regardless of gender, race, or socioeconomic background. As a junior Biology major at Whitman College, I had the incredible opportunity to work with the Great Explorations planning committee to execute this year’s STEAM workshop conference for 5th, 6th, and 7th graders on Whitman’s campus. Through this experience, I was able to develop valuable skills in event planning, communication, and community building while gaining insights into the administration of a community organization focused on youth and accessibility to STEAM. My typical day with Great Explorations involved attending planning meetings with the organizational members, coordinating campus walkthroughs with local professionals presenting interactive STEAM workshops, and ensuring the collaboration of workshop presenters, Whitman College campus staff, and supplies. As someone who is passionate about science and public health, it was incredibly inspiring to see the outcomes of collaborative work with peers and to apply the principles of STEAM to workshop presenters and attendees.

Through my work with Great Explorations, I was able to make important connections within the local community and gain valuable insights into the administration of a community organization focused on youth and accessibility to STEAM. As a first-generation college student and a woman in STEAM, I was able to harness my background in a professional and beneficial way, extending my communication skills through challenges and quick problem-solving needed from various moving parts of the event and representing Whitman College. Moreover, my involvement in Great Explorations has been a meaningful part of my Whitman career, providing me with valuable skills and insights into community building and STEAM education to the local Walla Walla youth audience. As someone who is committed to making STEAM accessible to all, regardless of age, gender, race, or socioeconomic background, this experience has helped me make important connections within the local community and gain insights into the administration of a community organization focused on youth and accessibility to STEAM. Moving forward, I hope to apply the skills I have gained through this internship to my future educational and career goals in public health and science communication. Making STEAM accessible to all is an essential part of building a better future. I am deeply thankful to be a part of this community of professionals who share the goals and passions of STEAM accessibility. In conclusion, Great Explorations is an organization that is making a significant impact in the Walla Walla community by ensuring that STEAM education is accessible to all children. As a student at Whitman College, my involvement in this organization has helped me develop valuable skills in event planning, communication, and community building while gaining insights into the administration of a community organization focused on youth and accessibility to STEAM. I am grateful for this experience and hope to apply the skills I have gained to make STEAM accessible to all in my future educational and career goals.

Experiences like Naiyah Love’s are made possible by the Whitman Internship Grant, which provides funding for students to participate in unpaid internships at nonprofit, some for-profit, and government organizations. We are happy to be sharing blog posts from students who were supported by either a summer, fall, spring, or year-long grants at organizations, businesses, and research labs all around the world. To learn how you could secure a Whitman Internship Grant or host a Whitman intern at your organization, contact us at ccec_info@whitman.edu.

Uncategorized