Phoebe Nguyen ’25, Intern at SOS Health Services in College Place, WA

Phoebe Nguyen ’25, Biology and Chemistry Majors, shares about their internship with SOS Health Services in College Place, WA

“My summer internship at SOS Health Services, a free clinic in College Place, WA has been a greatly rewarding and humbling experience. I am on the premedical track and in doing this internship, I am able to  learn about patient care from experienced providers while giving back to the community. I am very passionate about healthcare for underserved communities, such as those who have no insurance or inadequate insurance for their needs. I have volunteered at this clinic before throughout the school year at Whitman, but dedicating my time to this work in a new way has allowed me to really get in touch with equity issues in the healthcare field.

A day in my life at the clinic typically starts by checking in with my supervisor, fellow intern Barbara Saucedo, and any other volunteers. We come up to speed on the tasks for the day and upcoming patient appointments and decide on the prioritized assignments for the day. So far in my internship, one of my primary clinic responsibilities along with the other intern is to completely take new documentation of the entire clinic’s inventory, from the back stockrooms to what is available in each exam room. We ensure that each room is ready for afternoon visits, including gathering supplies that providers may have requested for certain procedures.

Our big internship project for this summer is Project A1C, a preventative care program for patients at the clinic who have diabetes or prediabetes. Barbara and I have been researching diabetes and putting together presentations and handouts for patients. Our goal for this project is to have an extra resource for patients to help them learn about diabetes and make functional lifestyle changes that help mitigate the condition. We are addressing the science behind the condition, appropriate nutrition and exercise advice, and medications management. Diabetes is something that is really common at the clinic and in our community, and while it is important to treat the condition following diagnosis, preventative care is also integral to patient care.

My favorite part of clinic days are the appointment times in the later afternoon when we get to shadow providers directly. Barbara and I help with patient check ins and intake forms, taking history, and assisting providers. Despite some language barriers at times, it is quite incredible to connect with patients and listen to what they are going through. Doctors at the clinic are remarkable to observe, their kind care and judgment-free approach is amazing to learn from and something I hope to be in my professional career.

After all patient visits, the other volunteers and I finish putting away supplies, updating inventory lists, and cleaning exam rooms. The providers often take the time to recap the day’s visits with us and answer any questions we may have. I really appreciate that they are dedicated to both their patients and teaching young students about medicine. This has been an extraordinary experience so far, and I look forward to the rest of my time at the clinic this summer.”