Kylie Casper, Intern with Bodhi Surf + Yoga in Costa Rica

Kylie Casper ‘24, Economics major Art and Religion minor, shares about their Internship with Bodhi Surf + Yoga in Costa Rica

“As a rising senior in high school in the summer of 2019, I attended a leadership program in Costa Rica where we stayed with Boshi Surf + Yoga. When I left after my 10 days there, I thought that would be goodbye forever – now I am back as an intern for the summer!

Hi, my name is Kylie Casper and I will graduate in the spring of 2024 with a major in Economics and minors in both Religion and Art. I am originally from Boise, Idaho, and am spending this summer as an intern at Bodhi Surf + Yoga in Uvita, Costa Rica.

When thinking about what to do for my final summer, I knew that I wanted an experience that was not only fun but also impactful to my personal and professional growth. That is when I thought of  Bodhi Surf + Yoga. After reaching out to my connections there and working closely with the Whitman Career and Community Engagement Center, I was able to secure my internship in Costa Rica for the summer!

Why Bodhi Surf + Yoga?

Bodhi Surf + Yoga opened my eyes to the possibility of a for-profit company using its business as a force for good back in 2019. It is a responsibly run tourism company that focuses on creating an environment for its guests to learn more about environmental and social change through surfing and practicing yoga.

The strong emphasis on environmental consciousness and community engagement in the local town is not only seen in guest experience but also in how the business is internally run. Bodhi Surf + Yoga is a certified B-Corporation, which is a certificate for high social and environmental performances and is also 1% for the planet company which means that they donate 1% of their gross annual sales to environmental non-profits.

By interning at Bodhi Surf + Yoga, I have been able to experience firsthand what to look for in a for-profit company as I begin to look for jobs post-Whitman.

What is my internship all about?

During my time at Bodhi Surf + Yoga, I have tried on many different hats: I interact with the guests daily, create social media posts for the company, write blogs, help in the kitchen, assist with surf lessons, and take photos of the yoga classes to name a few. Throughout all my different responsibilities, I have seen and felt the impact of working for a company that truly believes in what they are doing and how they are doing it.

Interning with a small company that has only nine full-time employees has allowed me to have opportunities that I would not be able to have within a bigger organization. I work directly with the co-founders of the company and sit in on all staff meetings regarding general operations, marketing, and anything else that comes up.

Through all my different responsibilities I have been able to further discover and develop my professional interests and passions. One thing in particular that surprised me was just how much I love the tourism industry and learning about both the benefits and harms tourism has on local communities. This realization has inspired me to want to explore more into the interconnectedness and effects tourism has on the local economy and its residents.

How has it been?

I could not have asked for a better summer experience – honestly. Interning at Bodhi Surf + Yoga does not feel like work because I enjoy and believe in what the company is doing. I have been able to learn so much about myself in both a personal and professional sense.

The connections I have made here are unbeatable. Not only am I able to build relationships and mentorships within Surf + Yoga, I am exposed to a world of individuals (literally!). Every week I am able to get to know travelers from all over the world and hear what they do and how they got there. Through my internship, I have been able to interact with individuals I would not have otherwise.

This summer has been transformative for me. I have been able to learn so much about what I want to do post-Whitman and how I can do it in a way that I feel ethically and morally aligned with. My gratitude for this opportunity is immense and it would not have been possible without the support of Whitman College and the Whitman Internship Grant.”