Marlyne Nitunga, Intern at DIFFvelopment

Marlyne Nitunga, Junior Economics and Data Science Major, shares about their internship at DIFFvelopment

“My name is Marlyne Nitunga, and I am a rising junior from Burundi majoring in Economics with a minor in Data Science. My summer internship with DIFFvelopment has been an incredible and transformative experience. DIFFvelopment is a nonprofit organization in Montclair, New Jersey that aims to empower the global Black community through historically centered re-education, enabling aspiring Black visionaries to shape their world in a unique and impactful way. The internship program I participated in, known as “consultrepreneurship,” lies at the intersection of business consulting and entrepreneurship.

The consultrepreneurship internship program encompasses three main components. My day-to-day responsibilities involve conducting weekly business consulting meetings with DIFFvelopment’s client, participating in informative entrepreneurial seminars featuring successful guest speakers from diverse career fields, and engaging in business concept development to learn how to effectively leverage my passions and skills in creating a profitable venture.

One of the most exciting and significant projects I worked on during the internship involved facilitating the revamping of the business processes for Ford Communications, a Public Relations firm based in Ghana. Ford Communications’ mission is to foster sustainable business relations between African businesses and international markets, while also connecting international businesses to African markets. Through regular business consulting meetings with our client, I gained extensive knowledge about the intricacies and dynamics of the business consulting field. Additionally, my involvement with Ford Communications deepened my understanding of the importance of effective communication in building sustainable relationships. Moreover, conducting SWOT and quantitative analyses and utilizing cost-benefit analysis techniques honed my data analytical abilities, proving essential in driving successful business revamping initiatives.

As an Operations Intern, my role encompasses leading executive consultations, conducting operational analyses and research, and engaging in strategic planning. These experiences have been incredibly enriching and fulfilling, fostering both my professional and personal growth. The practical business skills I acquired during the internship not only align with my immediate career goals but are also transferable to my long-term aspirations of venturing into entrepreneurship. This internship has provided me with a solid foundation for navigating the complexities of running my own business.

I have always been passionate about the field of consulting, and I am grateful for the opportunity to explore it further through this internship program. The experience has not only unlocked my entrepreneurial spirit but has also equipped me with the necessary resources to pursue my ambitions confidently. I am thankful for the unwavering support, guidance, and mentorship I received throughout the internship, and I eagerly look forward to applying the valuable lessons and skills gained as I continue to pursue excellence in my academic and professional journey.