Chaney Heinbaugh, Intern at the Walla Walla Valley Farm to School program

Chaney Heinbaugh, Whitman student, shares about their internship with the Walla Walla Valley Farm to School program

“I have always been driven by connection. It’s important to me that, one way or another, I am serving others. If you add being outdoors and surrounded by beautiful plants to the mix, even better! This is why working as an education intern for the Walla Walla Valley Farm to School program has been a fantastic fit for me this summer. This program is a branch of the Sustainable Living Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting renewable energy solutions, mitigating waste, and sustainability education. Farm to School (F2S) is centered on local agriculture and community gardens, most of which are located at Walla Walla elementary schools. This program inspires kids to appreciate the value of growing and harvesting produce and the nutritional benefits of doing so.

As a senior Psychology major and English minor, my Whitman education has helped me discover my desire to work in the educational field, a career that bridges my academic background. Being in my current position has given me the opportunity to teach at a local elementary school, craft engaging lesson plans for weekly garden storytimes, and even get involved in making weekly promotional materials for flyers and social media. My favorite of these responsibilities has been the garden storytimes, a series of events that I have been able to spearhead on my own!

I get to “clock in” to my office– a vibrant elementary school garden– every Monday at 10:00 am and read a garden / plant-related picture book to children of the Walla Walla community! These sessions begin with some fun introductions before I transition into some key concepts, terms, or ideas that may be relevant to or enhance the story of the week! After reading we debrief and then finish with a unique craft tailored to the story’s content. Seeing the kids get excited over coloring their butterflies or writing goals for their “seeds for success” pouch we made is part of what makes this internship so rewarding. It has allowed me to take the curriculum that I have studied in courses, such as Educational Psychology, and apply these principles in action, outside of the classroom.

After college I hope to explore the fields of both outdoor education and school guidance counseling. This is because, just as F2S takes learning beyond the classroom, I want to help provide experiences for kids to learn in nature. And, just as F2S allows me to connect with kids more individually in small groups, I can learn how to best make each student feel heard, engaged, and valued, as a guidance counselor. Overall, I am so grateful that I found my way to the Walla Walla Valley Farm to School program, and look forward to the rest that this summer’s internship has in store!”