Zachary Peterson, Intern at Social Media Law Center

Zachary Peterson shares about their internship with Social Media Law Center

“Hello, my name is Zachary Peterson. I am going into my sophomore year at Whitman  and I have had the honor of interning at Social Media Law Center this summer. SMVLC is a firm  that specializes in impact litigation that seeks to reign in the unchecked power of protections  such as section 230, which is what gives platforms immunity from 3rd party content hosted on  their sites, and precedent set by cases like Roommates.com and Gonazalez which gives this  protection very few exceptions. SMVLC tries to combat this by presenting novel legal theories  against major tech giants and by trying to give voice to families who have suffered harm  because social media companies refuse to police their sites and protect users. My internship at  Social Media Victims Law Center has had a great impact on me this summer. I have been  working on many impactful projects, and learned invaluable information about a niche yet  impactful area of law, which I would one day be interested in pursuing a career in. While almost  all of what I do is protected information and I am not at legal liberty to share most of it, I can give  an overview of what I’ve generally been doing. I am one of two interns at the firm who hasn’t  graduated or isn’t currently in law school, so most of what I’ve done is research for the lawyers  to use. This research includes information about clients and also state specific law, for example  various statutes of limitation which often differ from state to state.

My work is almost completely remote besides monthly meetings in person with the entire  firm. While being able to work in pajamas and only needing to look presentable while in a  meeting is nice, what has really defined my experience so far was the in person meeting I got to  take part in. Because most of the firm’s activities don’t take part in any one state or location, the  lawyers that work for SMVLC work all around the country. So for this meeting the entire firm flew  out to Seattle, and I got to take part in a full day of legal strategizing, which was engrossing from  9 to 5. This experience has really made me want to be part of such a cohesive legal team one  day because of the fluidity by which these lawyers could bounce ideas off each other.

All in all this internship thus far has really made me fall in love with law. For anyone who  might be considering law school I would suggest getting into a position where you can get some  semblance of what a law firm’s culture is like, because like this experience was for me, it might  ignite your passion for law.”