an independent girlboss gets homesick but doesn’t make it any better (october 5th)

i am about to go on my first adventure since being in denmark. after my first month, i am ready. i really put the first month aside as i wanted to get to know the city and my host family and just generally life here. 

my travel plans were up in the air for a while, but now, it is solidified. i am going to stockholm for a few days, then vienna, then prague, then finishing it up in le mans france. trying to work through getting all the things figured out was hard, but i am very excited.

i don’t entirely know what i am doing yet. my first day in stockholm will be filled with getting to know the area and everything. then, i am going horseback riding the second day. living out my horse girl dreams. third day i roam around once again and then i go to vienna for the night. i hangout in vienna in the morning before getting on a train to prague. prague is filled with chaos, the good chaos. i think im going spend a lot of time trying to nail down the vibes of prague, as it is a place i never thought of going to. the second night i have in prague, i am going to a five seconds of summer concert, which is pretty iconic of me. i will most likely get tired and leave early, but it will be fun anyway. then, going to le mans to meet a friend who graduated from whitman last year, see whitties, you make friends and still stay in touch. 

I have a lot of anxiety about all of this. it makes me very scared but i know that i won’t have a lot of opportunities like this again. after feeling unsafe in copenhagen, i am curious to see what other countries are like. i have a feeling stockholm will be more quiet, but the looks will stay the same. vienna will be very into themselves. prague will celebrate it and have a fun time while i feel rather uncomfy. i am very nervous about france, but i won’t be in paris so i think that will be okay. HOWEVER, i am so freaking scared about bringing bed bugs home. everyone in paris is freaking tf out that anywhere you sit, you can get bed bugs. i learned this from jill moe on our cross country road trip in gary indiana, WE DON’T WANT BED BUGS. i am quite scared but jill will prepare me well. i am only taking a backpack (thanks ryanair), but wearing the biggest clothing while traveling so i can maximize on space. i will be washing everything as soon as i get home and doing a full bed bug check. my host mom would actually kill me if i bring bed bugs into her house and i do not blame her. i will also be taking my handy dandy fanny pack as i leave nowhere without it. literally the best $5 i have ever spent. thank you lucy wood. i have had friends who have been pickpocketed since being here, NOT FOR KATE MOE. i love my fanny pack, i wear it as a cross body bag and no one fucks with me. anyways, i am packing so light and making it work. 

so now it comes time for kate moe’s disabled, cute, fun, hates walking, gets bored easy, travel guide!!!

i live by three rules:

find the weird things

museums are boring

sleep when you can

i know it is a hot take that i find museums boring, however, i find museums a speed run. i ate up children’s museums when i was younger, because they were interactive. now, i feel bored whenever i enter one. i take photos but i don’t feel changed after going to one. i find going to a library more interesting, seeing people and being able to touch and feel books and interact. senses are very interesting to me and the one thing that traditional museums give to my senses is sight, which is BORING. my mom gave me good advice, find what their target or walmart is and look in it. when my family went to iceland, we visited a pet store, see that is interesting and weird. my last point is very real, sleep when you can. i know the first thing i will be doing when i get to each of these hostels/airbnbs is taking a nap or sleeping the whole night. transitions are really difficult for me, the physical element is one thing and depleting physical energy, as well as the mental element. my adhd makes it very hard to switch from one thing to another really quickly. 

i have been missing whitman a lot lately. as i have friends i won’t see until next year because of study abroad overlap, it makes me miss them quite a lot. i have a friend visiting whitman who i desperately want to show around, i want to tell them, “wait! don’t! come in the spring!”, which just won’t work. i am trying to apply for internships here as well and those deadlines are coming up quick. i need my major advisor right about now. planning out what classes i’m gonna take when i get back as well. just so many things are happening and a mix of not having the best motivation and wanting to destroy the scandinavian ableist mentality is making me wanting to scream.

writing this aggressively in the student hub while i feel proud looking at the google doc of all the posts i have written thus far.