I’m Going Home

Let me set the scene, its been 40 hrs without sleep, and the lights of the fornification room are starting to send me into another dimension as I stare through the multi-layered mirrors above my head. The Stay Club Kentish Town is a truly unique experience. 10 hrs later I was at school. Eunice gives us a beautiful first-day speech, and then we spend the rest of the afternoon learning how to express the 4 elements through our bodies as a collective. This conservatory program is no joke. The masterclasses are taught by professionals, famous professionals, in all realms of performance. This week we saw a drag play called Sound of the Underground, and next week we’re going to meet the writer and director! This show was truly the most incredible performance I have ever seen in my life. It reminded me that my true passion in life is drag. The show was intersectional, political, inspirational, and RIDUCULUSLY queer! Being constantly surrounded by artists who all share the same passion for entertainment and expression is an incredibly bonding and emotional experience. This conservatory training is intense, and ranges from lying on the floor to help release each others breath, to on-the-spot Shakespeare monologues, to 20-min daily ball throwing games. And the best part is that everyone takes it seriously. (For the most part.) The instructors and visiting professionals treat us like adults and include us in the industry. The people here have accomplished truly phenomenal works of art, and every day we’re working together to develop our craft in a supportive environment. The grind culture here is exhausting though. If you have disability accommodations, this is a very difficult place to be. The classes range from 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs long- no breaks. And the teachers will often hold us after class to wrap up the lesson. Its stressful, and there is very little time to travel, but the experience has already been life changing. I’ve learned more about the professional world of entertainment in my two weeks here than I have in the entire rest of my life. This place hand-picks extremely dedicated individuals, and breeds knowledgeable professionals. This is only the beginning.